My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a bulkhead at a Lowes Fire sale and I am going to make a Johnny bucket out of it. I want to know how much the factory pump/lifting lever can handle for weight. I have a 2000 LB winch, but I was planning on using it for another project.

Anyone have any Ideas?

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
A LOT. I'm not sure if I've ever seen numbers, but i've accidentally hooked my 46" dozer under my snowmobile trailer and picked the rear of the tractor off the ground with me on it. I'm amazed at what these units will do.

I'm not sure what kind of weight we're talking when a 42" blower is raised, but it will do it for 10 years, over and over with no problems, given good seals. With good seals, i've never run across something the hydrolift would balk at. They were designed with Johnny buckets in mind, and with the low center of gravity and short angle on the johnny bucket hitch, I bet that you could lift 500#. Not sure what the front of your tractor will take.

I've loaded my loader now with all that the bucket will pick up, and that has to be some serious weight. With me, wheel weights, and my genny off the back, she's feelin pretty light in the tail, but I'm not seeing any issues up front. I don't plan on making it habit, but have wanted to see what it will do.

·
What happened?
638 Posts
The weakest part of the system would be the 1/2" rod that runs back to the rear lift group and the rod that would lift front mounted attachments.

The system was designed to bog the engine down first before there would be any hose or pump failures.

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weakest part of the system would be the 1/2" rod that runs back to the rear lift group and the rod that would lift front mounted attachments.

The system was designed to bog the engine down first before there would be any hose or pump failures.
I was going to use some square tubing with some heim joints welded on either end. I have the rod for the snowblower and have bent it all to **** more than once.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
I have never seen a bent or busted rod...I've worn through them at the mounting points before, but never bent one. The square tubing would certainly not fail. I would think any kind of lifting or down pressure power you would want to use a bucket for, would be easily handled by the components.

As Tim said, in a real bind, the engine would lose power, or you would hear that pump start to scream before anything popped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts