My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eight hours on a new Cub Cadet 2400 and now all it will do is click, click, click! This is twice in two days we have had this problem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is very likely that you are encountering a problem that many owners of CUT's (all makes and most models) run into. The safety switch circuits often cause enough of a drop in current that it does not provide ample energy to engage the starter solenoid. I had a similar problem with a 6284 after I first bought it. I remedied it by installing a relay that is energized by the starter circuit and provides full battery current directly to the starter solenoid. Here is a link to the post where I described the modification in detail. Note that this does not bypass or modify the function of the safety switches and circuits installed on your tractor at the factory.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=105727&highlight=relay

I hope this helps. Let us know.

JN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jnelson, Aloha and thank you for the help. This problem had us a little perplexed on what was going on and your advice makes alot of sense and I will talk to the dealer about your relay fix.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Larger boats have this same issue - that is; the current to pull in the starter solenoid is lost in the wiring harness since it is a substantial amount. Then (with the boat with a flying bridge) the distance, switch contacts - it becomes very inefficient. Boat starter wiring therefore always includes this auxiliary starter relay wired back at the engines so the current through the starter switch can be reduced to milliamps, thus less loss in the wiring - ohms law....

Boats: bottomless pits in the water to pour mucho money... the only similarity to a CUT is wiring, switches, relays, batteries, safety switches, solenoids, starters, engines, and maintenance - but only one wheel.

BillC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts