My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, like always I find myself with another PROJECT...:trink39:
This time I am having a little problem to solve. Here's the situation.

I have a double skidoo trailer normal size 7 1/2 by 9 feet. with two sleds on it at all time. problem is I am noticing some fading from exposure to sun in the summer and having to always remove snow from them in the winter.

Question: Has anyone ever made their own snow cap for ski-doo trailers and if so how did you make it so it can be removed for loading or unloading.

I'm looking for inspiration and ideas on how to keep it light enough to be able to remove it and install it at will with my wife helping.

I'm going to go and take a picture or two and try and post it asap

again thanks fellas for any help

Jesse:snowing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've laid a couple of sticks of 2 by around the perimeter and will probably be using plywood on the inside lips (sides) to hold in place while in storage. It is not designed to do 60 MPH down the highway. simply a cover to shield against the weather while stored here at home.

I need it light but strong...thus the delama (problem)...

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
The sled trailers I see around here have the cover hinged at the front of the trailer. The cover is usually made with a 2x2 aluminum frame and the skin is pop riveted aluminum sheet. The use air cylinders simular to the cylinders used on auto hoods and hatches.
Dave

·
15,000 +posts!
20,850 Posts
Hmmmm!..

Too bad there isnt any truck bed caps that are 7x9-1/2 feet,one of those would be nice..maybe splice two together?...I see free ones on CL given away all the time!..

Other than that,plywood and 2x3's,make your own..might be kinda heavy though,unless you use 1/4" plywood to skin it with,or maybe some metal roofing..I see one guy locally who used aluminum duct pipe unrolled to cover a home built construction trailer..

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can't keep things simple...SOooooo...I went ahead and built it like the ones everyone seem to be using.
2 X 2 Spruce and 1/4 inch OSB boards.
It's anything but light, but it is very strong.

I am going to work on a douple overhead and back door that flips open on itself and use piano inges to open it and close it at the joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a couple more for now, I'll finish next weekend.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts