My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

So I'm down to a decision. The household CFO *wink wink* has me on a budget so I've narrowed my choice.

B/g: My seperate Snapper and Simplicity dealers will each give me a nice value on trading in my Snapper 28RER (not sure if forum rules prohibit pricing so I will err on the side of caution). Based on what I can spend, I've been evaluating differant rigs for the better part of 2 weeks. I'm looking to upgrade my grass cutter to cut down on my time in the saddle - we extended the backyard so I now have more mowing to do.

The rigs I mention above are doable for my budget. I'd LOVE to step into a Broadmoor, but being realistic I'm only mowing maybe 1/2 acre total. I have a steep slope in the front yard, but being on a culdesac the front yard is pretty small so we're not talking many passes (and I can go downhill on it to keep the wear on the K46 manageable). My backyard is not a smooth grade by any means. Its basically been cleared of trees and had a rockhound go over it to get most of the junk out of the way. Its mostly covered with grass now, but it definitely has its dips and bobs from where things settled. I have trees back there still that I have to cut a allowance for given the roots (I have to come back w/ the weed whacker).

So, here I am. For slightly less money I can buy the Snapper with the 42" suspended deck. For slightly more money I can buy the Simplicity with the smaller 38" ground floating deck. Interestingly, the Simplicity is almost 60 pounds heavier then the Snapper - since we all know the rider themselves are identical I have to assume the weight is in the deck.

Is the 60 pounds of weight a testament to the deck being built that much better/stronger? I can't imagine the full width wheels weigh 60 pounds ....

What say you pros? Also, are these two rigs generally regarded as 15+ year investments assuming proper maintenance? I refuse to buy Big Box store tossaways. I had a ******** once - never again.

Thanks in advance,
Jopopsy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 2007 Snapper 2044. I don't think you can go wrong with your choices. I got my snapper as a left over and it was a great deal. If not for that I would have got a Regent. Simplicity cut is the best I've ever seen anywhere. These tractors are a big cut above box store stuff. Buy what ever one you like and enjoy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, weight differance is more like 35+ pounds - sorry about that. *EDIT* actually the brochure for the Regent shows the 20/38 weighing in at 552 w/ mower, the website shows 520 w/ mower. Still heavier then the Snapper, but now I don't know by how much - tend to believe the lighter number b/c the weight swing seems more believable to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts