My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
I do the same. I've got a bucke fullt of old boat trailer rollers:tango_face_wink:
Keep in mind that these Ebay rollers are not for a 1" shaft which is what the 60" decks require. They also are smaller in diameter. Also, I never found a trailer type roller that seemed like it would work. Most are also for a smaller shaft.

So far, no input on what the diameter of the 1678043 rollers is? Anyone know or have one they could check? I won't know for sure until I take the roller assembly apart, but it looks like a 3" roller is not going to fit (on my 60" deck).

Gerald

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep in mind that these Ebay rollers are not for a 1" shaft which is what the 60" decks require. They also are smaller in diameter. Also, I never found a trailer type roller that seemed like it would work. Most are also for a smaller shaft.

So far, no input on what the diameter of the 1678043 rollers is? Anyone know or have one they could check? I won't know for sure until I take the roller assembly apart, but it looks like a 3" roller is not going to fit (on my 60" deck).

Gerald

I just ordered one on Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow, I can take measurements of it but, there are pictures in the listing that can give you a real good idea. I've attached them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0N0I7G/

Attachments

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
I just ordered one on Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow, I can take measurements of it but, there are pictures in the listing that can give you a real good idea. I've attached them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0N0I7G/
Thanks. I saw several similar graphics intended to show the dimensions, but I think the rollers are 4" long and the pictures seem to show the length to be quite a bit longer than 4". Left me wondering about the diameter. It's really odd that every listing I looked at did not indicate the dimensions or had some obvious error in the dimensions they did show. Like in the case of the Amazon listing, it seems to say they are 2" diameter.
Gerald

·
Registered
43 Posts
Roller arrived Friday. Took some measurements before I installed it.

In direct sunlight it actually looks more like a very dark blue hue instead of black. Based on the cut marks on sides and the feel of the material the roller appears to be 4" long piece cut from a piece of Nycast or Nyoil 1" ID x 3" OD tube stock with a beveled edge machined on one end.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
Roller arrived Friday. Took some measurements before I installed it.

In direct sunlight it actually looks more like a very dark blue hue instead of black. Based on the cut marks on sides and the feel of the material the roller appears to be 4" long piece cut from a piece of Nycast or Nyoil 1" ID x 3" OD tube stock with a beveled edge machined on one end.
Thanks for posting the measurements. If I am reading your caliper right, it looks like the diameter is nearly 1/8" shy of 3''. The UHMW roll that I bought is 1/8" over, so I will be dealing with nearly 1/4" over what the 1678043 replacements are. That amounts to less than 1/8" in radius, so should not be that big of a deal.

The left end two rollers that are now on the deck are 2.75". It looks like some of the other rollers may be less. Problem is that the centers are badly worn, so they get pushed towards the sheet metal (when the deck is just sitting on the concrete floor) making it appear that the clearance is tiny. Hopefully, whenever I get to install the new and they are centered on the shaft they will fit OK. Not planning to install them until after my last mowing which will probably be in November.

Thanks again.
Gerald

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Problem is that the centers are badly worn, so they get pushed towards the sheet metal (when the deck is just sitting on the concrete floor) making it appear that the clearance is tiny.
Thanks again.
Gerald
Thought jumps to mind, I wonder if it were possible to drill out the center of the rollers and insert a "tube" (of sorts) to act as a new "bearing"? Even CVCP water tubing would last a season or two.

If I might ask, how many hours do you have on the rollers? (On your hour gauge.)

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
Thought jumps to mind, I wonder if it were possible to drill out the center of the rollers and insert a "tube" (of sorts) to act as a new "bearing"? Even CVCP water tubing would last a season or two.

If I might ask, how many hours do you have on the rollers? (On your hour gauge.)
Yes, I have done that on some of the rollers using PVC pipe and you are right, that fix lasts a season or two. At this point, the rollers are so worn I was looking for a more permanent fix. Also, I was thinking using more rollers than the 7-roller original design should be a good thing. Using 12 rollers should stripe better plus distribute the weight per roller better.

I think the deck has around 1200 hours on it. (Bought used plus my hour meter died a long time ago.)

Gerald

·
Registered
497 Posts
Make sure your getting rollers for the correct size ID. Any 54" and 60" decks are 1" ID...many you find are for 5/8" ID. Factory units are just under 3" OD for these decks with the 1" ID.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can't remember if I'm at 800 or 900 hours and still have the original rollers...and they're working quite well, I don't foresee any replacement anytime soon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts