My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and happy to have a resource to go to. I've enjoyed reading posts from here for a while so happy to be here...

I'm in the market for an x739. The issue is that my sales rep seems to be fishy to me. I want to trade my 2018 x590 with 110 hrs, 48" accel deck with mulch control, bumper and 2" hitch, ball and pin set up. It's a sweet machine and super clean and they'll give me $3,000 which although I'm not that excited about, I know they have to make a little money to sell it. So, $3,000 isn't totally surprising although not that exciting to me either and I love that machine.

I asked the rep to quote me an x739 with a 54" deck which he did. He also quoted me a 4 year/700 hr warranty for like $1,200 which I thought was already part of the machine without an additional cost. Maybe I was wrong about that. Then I asked if he would include in the quote, a mulch control, auto connect for the deck and also asked if it would have HDAP tires standard, which I was pretty sure it would but wanted to be sure. He then quoted me the tractor, deck, auto connect, ADDED THE HDAP to quote and now removed that warranty cost. I was puzzled so I asked "aren't the HDAP tires standard" and he said yes they are. Why am I paying an add on price for standard equipment?

I have never bought a new tractor strait from John Deere so I am not sure if I am just inexperienced and making things complicated or if this guy is trying to rip me off. He is quoting me about $14,250 for the tractor, 54" with mulch control and auto connect. That's not including the $3,000 they would discount for the trade in I suppose and not including tax. I think that's pretty standard but I have heard that there might be a "new tractor buyer" discount or something like that? I asked him about that and he said "oh yeah I'll be sure to include that," which I don't see on the quote anywhere.

I just wanted to get a gauge from more experienced buyers to see how this scenario sounds to fresh ears. When I ask the guys questions I'm getting half answers although at least he is still answering. I feel like I'm having to pry for information instead of the dealer helping me with the sale. I'm just trying to ask simple questions so I can assure I am getting what I want.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I traded my 2016 X354 with 100 hours for 2100. Only 3k for a 2018 X590 seems low...

That aside if looking at 7 series, I think it makes sense to get 1025r... its basically the same size and price, but is more capable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I traded my 2018 X580 in against my X738 at the beginning of last summer. My dealer gave me $7600 which cleared the loan and then some. The cost for the X738 with 3pt hitch, 48" deck, and 54" 4 way blade was under $13,500 before the trade. Your "dealer" can do better.

1. The warranty is not an extra charge
2. The HDAPS are standard and no extra charge.

Go to the Deere site and price the tractor at list, then talk to your dealer. Also, call other dealers and get them to quote.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
$3000 for a X590/48 with 110 hrs? That is a slap in the face. That machine retails for almost $8200. I see X590's on machine finder with 600 hrs still selling for $5500. 2018 models with 100-200 hrs are listed for anywhere from $5000 to $6400.

On the Build Your Own site a X739 with 54-inch deck and mulch control is showing as $14,310 (no auto connect) and comes standard with a 4-year 700-hr warranty. You can check all this stuff yourself on the JD website. You can check used prices at MachineFinder.com.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, this info is all at your fingertips on www.deere.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
We bought an X738 last October for $12,200 before tax with 60" deck and $400-500 worth of accessories and he threw in a nice toy tractor for my son. The first time I walked in he quoted me list price, like over $14000. The next time I brought a quote from another dealer about 90 miles away (and wife who loves to haggle) that was about $12k. I think the JD $500 discount was going on at the time. When I stepped out to get reading glasses out of the car my wife told him "we don't want to drive an hour and a half but we will if we have to". He gladly matched the other quote to get the sale. So there's plenty of fat in their prices. Like my dealer he's starting at list to see if you'll pay it. He CAN do much better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I appreciate the input. I've done a ton of research and looked at the used tractor sites and of course priced it out on the JD website and I was wondering why I'm being quoted higher than MSRP. And yeah, I'm not looking to make a profit on that x590 but for $3,000 I'd almost rather just keep it. Great machine. I'm going to keep looking and be patient.

I'd love to get a 1 series but I think it's a little too heavy and I'm not sure it would have a convenient turn radius. My property is very very hilly and I'm got acres of oak trees so although I think a 1 series is a way better deal as far as what you get for what you spend, I just don't think it would be nimble and maneuverable enough.

I'd love to know if someone has had both the x739 and the 1023 and what their thoughts are. Like I said the ability to turn tight is a plus for me, the lawn areas have some pretty uneven hilly grades and I have a heavy clay soil that my lawn grows on so it stays pretty soft but if I thought the 1023 would work out then I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many people here say bigger is better, but no one ever says how big is too big. A lot of it is going to depend on your property. If you have a large wide open property with few trees and mostly flat, a large tractor is fine. It is more capable and the fact that it is BIG is not a problem, it is in fact a good thing. But, if you have property that is mostly wooded and you want to or need to keep it that way and it has slope, then it is easy to get something that is too big to be able to get where you need it to get.

I have an X300 and a Kubota B2620. The X300 can go places that the B2620 would be very unsafe to try or would be bashing into trees and brush. I mow with the X300 and it does get stuck sometimes, so the X534 seems like a good step up for me.

I have test driven the X584 and X739. The X739 is only a few inches bigger than the X584, which is only a few inches bigger than the X300. But, they feel very different. I looked at the 1025R. It is only a few inches bigger than the the X739. But it is also only a few inches smaller than the B2620 (which is only a few inches smaller than the B2650). If you have a large field to mow with few obstacles, the difference in agility is not that noticable. On my trails, I notice a big difference between the X300 and the B2620. I have some slide slope on part of the trail. It is about 10 degrees (not percent) and I have to go slow and keep the load down low or the B2620 feels like it will tip over, but the X300 only starts feeling tippy at about 20 degrees side slope. This is probably because the B2620 has about three times the ground clearance of the X300. I would not be able to mow parts of the trails and fields with the B2620 without putting it and myself in danger. On the other hand, the B2620 is as small as I would want to go for moving manure/compost in my bins. They are 6' by 6' with 4-1/2' walls. The reach and lift of the loader is just enough to easily fill the bins. The 1025R is about a foot too small in both to make it easy. The X7XX series loaders would be even less adequate. They would probably work okay different size bins. I did build the bins with this loader in mind. The B2620 is also much better when I need to go off of the trail and into the woods where the ground can be very uneven.

So, think about what you need to do with the tractor. Then decide if getting one to do ALL of the jobs is going to get you into one that is too BIG to do any or at least the most common ones you need to do. For the B2620, I use it most for moving compost/manure. It is a great size for that. I also use it for driveway grading/major restoration. It is fine for that, but I wish it had position control to make it easier. For driveway grooming, the B2620 is really too big and I have started using the X300 for that, but it is really too small (not quite capable enough).

Like many people said to me try them out at the dealer. They should have demo models you can take for a test drive. It's not the same as driving it on your property, but it's better than just looking on the web.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about keeping the x590 and getting a sub compact but after looking awhile I've come across a couple of other options that I'm looking into. JD really has rubbed me the wrong way so far on this deal and I wish I could get a loader on the x739 which is kind of pushing me away from it. I don't really have the storage room for two tractors and I don't have many open areas that need mowing. It's mostly treed areas with low clearance and tight turns so I'm thinking I need to stay away from the subs. This experience might be turning me away from green I'm sad to say. I wish they beefed up the x7 series a little with more attachments. It really seems like they intentionally did away with the loader on the x7 series so they could market the 1 series easier. If I only had about 5 more acres...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say knowledge is power. You have a resource here to increase yours. Some dealers are better than others, or so I have heard. I did not feel good about spending the cost of an inexpensive new car on a tractor, now, when looking at the X729, nor when I was looking and bought my B2620. On the B2620, which I bought a decade ago, I rarely think about how much it cost, but am always glad that I have it. When I grade the driveway, I wish it had position control. But, the B2650 that has position control was even more expensive and bigger. I have never wished it was bigger, but many times I have wished it was smaller.

As far as the X739 goes, it is a niche market. There are not a lot of people who are willing to pay that much money for a small tractor. There are also significant liability concerns, and not having a loader makes it safer. Tractors are dangerous and it is easy to get yourself killed using one. To use a loader, you have to properly ballast your tractor. To mow, you generally don't want excess weight on it.

The SCUT market has grown considerably. A couple decades ago there was hardly anybody in it. The super garden tractor market has gotten much smaller. In the same time frame almost all the other SGT players have been forced out of the market. I think it is like cars. Many people think bigger is better and are willing to pay more for something bigger. In the 70's the Civic was a tiny car. It is kept growing in size and is now much bigger than the Accord used to be in the 80's. I think the Fit is probably bigger than the Civic of the 70's. The SCUT of today is what happened to the SGT of 20-30 years ago. They all grew up and became bigger tractors. But, in doing so they lost some of their youthful agility.

Back to GTs, if you like the X739, maybe you would consider a pre-owned one? If you want a loader there are aftermarket ones available that could work. But I don't believe you said what tasks you needed to do that are causing you to seek a new tractor. That would be a good place to start. Many people mow with a SCUT, and like it. People here always like pictures, so how about some of you property and where you mow. That will help get you the right size machine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Get a 2009-2012 X729 if you want to use a loader (while sticking with gas, AWD and AWS). They were the last HDGT JD made a loader for (model 45).

As to your point that is seems JD is forcing people into the SCUT - yes, that’s exactly it. Aside from more utility, 1-series are more affordable than the X7’s - especially with their killer financing 0%/84mos. If one has the space to use the SCUT, then it’s a no brainer (unless you need perfectly manicured grass in which case the GT’s will do that much better)

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
I only read the first 3 posts, time to find another JD dealer.........that guy is a disgrace to John Deere Dealers everywhere!!! I'm not even sure I can continue reading this thread, I'm so ****** and I don't even have a nickel in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice demonspeed. I am looking into a Simplicity Legacy XL33 and possibly Kubota but the Simplicity seems like a pretty comparable machine and I can get a relatively new one with most of the same stuff as the x739 except for the hydraulic front drive which sounds like it's pretty great for mowing. I will also look into the 729 though.

I'm hearing that even farmers that run larger machines are getting some flack from John Deere these days. I'm kind of looking for a specific build because I don't have the acreage and enough duties to justify a big SCUT and I do try to finish mow precisely on my turf fescue so mowing ability/quality is 50% of my needs when it comes to my purchase.

I'm not here to dump on John Deere or anything. I am not that experienced but believe they do build some terrific equipment. I just wish that they had the support for the homeowner here in DFW Texas. I bet if I went in to buy a combine or 50+ HP tractor they'd be a little more respectable. I'd much rather be a loyal John Deere customer and build a relationship with the brand rather than bounce around depending on what the market is doing. I guess it's just because homeowners with 2-5 acre lots are becoming more rare and it's either a 1/2 acre lot or a 10+ acre lot. That's what a lot of my friends that are buying houses are saying it looks like out there. But I digress...

Thanks for the support fellas. I was pretty upset earlier this week and needed some clarity.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You had every right to be upset. Does the dealer near you own most of the JD stores in the area? Try and get a quote from a dealer outside of that dealer group.

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMHO - buying used (lower hours) is the way to go

Even back to the 4x5 series, I think you can find everything you're looking for at a fraction of the price.

Let's say something goes wrong and you need dealer service on it - it's still cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
15,378 Posts
$3000 for a X590/48 with 110 hrs? That is a slap in the face. That machine retails for almost $8200. I see X590's on machine finder with 600 hrs still selling for $5500. 2018 models with 100-200 hrs are listed for anywhere from $5000 to $6400.

On the Build Your Own site a X739 with 54-inch deck and mulch control is showing as $14,310 (no auto connect) and comes standard with a 4-year 700-hr warranty. You can check all this stuff yourself on the JD website. You can check used prices at MachineFinder.com.
Yes the dealer is selling it at $5,500 But he is not going to Pay that for Your used Machine Probably paid $4,000 for it or less. Traded My 2003 X485 with 350Hrs with 48inch deck, Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch 540RPM rear PTO & 7bu MCS for equvilent to $5,500 In attachments for My X748 They Turned around and sold it for $6,500 They had it listed For $6,700. See it all depends On the Area It might take them a while to turn around & sell that Used X590. Machine finder is listing the selling Price of dealers Not the Price they Paid to Purchase the Machine used. You understand that Deere gets full selling Price from the dealers No Matter how Much is discounted By the Trade in Deere gives the dealer a cheaper Rate. But that cheaper Rate is what the dealer needs to return to Deere there on consignment to the dealer for a specific Price each Below MSRP There always going to give you less than what there going to turn around & sell it for But I agree $3,000 is a very Low Offer Because there Taking more than 15% off a Year if It was $8,200 for the OP He should be Looking at $5,740 That's subtracting 15% a Year It Looks Like there subtracting about 63% (y)

·
Super Moderator
15,378 Posts
I thought about keeping the x590 and getting a sub compact but after looking awhile I've come across a couple of other options that I'm looking into. JD really has rubbed me the wrong way so far on this deal and I wish I could get a loader on the x739 which is kind of pushing me away from it. I don't really have the storage room for two tractors and I don't have many open areas that need mowing. It's mostly treed areas with low clearance and tight turns so I'm thinking I need to stay away from the subs. This experience might be turning me away from green I'm sad to say. I wish they beefed up the x7 series a little with more attachments. It really seems like they intentionally did away with the loader on the x7 series so they could market the 1 series easier. If I only had about 5 more acres...
You Can get a after Market Loader for the X700 signature series 2013 John deere x ultimate Deere didn't Intentionally drop the Loader. The Bean counters did away with the Loader for several reason Part of it Had to do with the New Frame design . The Other reason sales Number started to drop off or People Purchasing Loaders do to the Sub Compact tractor. They Had Intended to Do a New Loader. A Mock up was Made for a Loader for the X700 Signature series with a similar design to the Old 40 Loader designed sub frame. The bean counters believed they Just wouldn't sell enough Loaders for the X700 series to be Profitable. As it Had Been Prior to the Release of the Deere 1 series The 45 Loader sold very well Until about late 2010 then the Numbers fell dramatically the Last year of the X700 Ultimate series Production. The CTC Loaders are decent they did Have a Lot of Hiccups On designing Loader for the Older Deere 300 & 420/ 430 Because there Pump design was very Poor. But for the 425 thru X758 The CTC Loader(uses On Board Hydraulics) is Pretty decently Made. I run a Older X748 with a 45 Loader besides a Deere compact. I had Intended to Buy a X758 with a CTC Loader In 2014. But got a good deal On a X748 with 110Hr's for about $10,300.

Now if Interested In Going Used I suggest Roeder Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power They ship using Mayflower Movers so You Can get a used Low Hr X700 signature series I got a 2012 X748 In 2014 there. Had about 2 years of warranty left when I Bought it. I Picked it Up Because I am only 3 hours away But the Shipped a X585 to Member Here at the Massachusetts/New Hampshire Boarder for $1,000 Probably be cheaper for the DFW area There is also this Place In Dwight Nebraska Green Power That deals In Late Model Used Deere Machines They usually have more than what is listed On there website. He has sold many to MTF Members in the Past

Are there actually any Simplicity dealer's in the DFW area Because according to Simplicity dealer Locator there Not In the DFW area. There are 3 In the Houston area & 2 In the Austin area 1 In Denton Texas They just don't seem to be as common down there In Texas. Keep In Mind the Simplicity Loader is also aftermarket it Made by Kwik-way which use to be a Big after market Loader & Backhoe Company. Since Kwik-way sold Out to Hitch-A-Doc there Just seem to be Building Loader's & Backhoes for Simplicity
(y)

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
You Can get a after Market Loader for the X700 signature series 2013 John deere x ultimate Deere didn't Intentionally drop the Loader. The Bean counters did away with the Loader for several reason Part of it Had to do with the New Frame design . The Other reason sales Number started to drop off or People Purchasing Loaders do to the Sub Compact tractor. They Had Intended to Do a New Loader. A Mock up was Made for a Loader for the X700 Signature series with a similar design to the Old 40 Loader designed sub frame. The bean counters believed they Just wouldn't sell enough Loaders for the X700 series to be Profitable. As it Had Been Prior to the Release of the Deere 1 series The 45 Loader sold very well Until about late 2010 then the Numbers fell dramatically the Last year of the X700 Ultimate series Production. The CTC Loaders are decent they did Have a Lot of Hiccups On designing Loader for the Older Deere 300 & 420/ 430 Because there Pump design was very Poor. But for the 425 thru X758 The CTC Loader(uses On Board Hydraulics) is Pretty decently Made. I run a Older X748 with a 45 Loader besides a Deere compact. I had Intended to Buy a X758 with a CTC Loader In 2014. But got a good deal On a X748 with 110Hr's for about $10,300.

Now if Interested In Going Used I suggest Roeder Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power They ship using Mayflower Movers so You Can get a used Low Hr X700 signature series I got a 2012 X748 In 2014 there. Had about 2 years of warranty left when I Bought it. I Picked it Up Because I am only 3 hours away But the Shipped a X585 to Member Here at the Massachusetts/New Hampshire Boarder for $1,000 Probably be cheaper for the DFW area There is also this Place In Dwight Nebraska Green Power That deals In Late Model Used Deere Machines They usually have more than what is listed On there website. He has sold many to MTF Members in the Past

Are there actually any Simplicity dealer's in the DFW area Because according to Simplicity dealer Locator there Not In the DFW area. There are 3 In the Houston area & 2 In the Austin area 1 In Denton Texas They just don't seem to be as common down there In Texas. Keep In Mind the Simplicity Loader is also aftermarket it Made by Kwik-way which use to be a Big after market Loader & Backhoe Company. Since Kwik-way sold Out to Hitch-A-Doc there Just seem to be Building Loader's & Backhoes for Simplicity
(y)

I like that x720SE fo $5700 with the 60inch 7 iron deck at Green Power, at the other place the 2012 X748, with low hours looks nice for $9000 if you want diesel.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The $ 3,000 is an insult, dealer trying to make money off you both ways, on trade in and on new sale- and really sounds like a snake trying to sell you a 4 year warranty then adding cost of HDAPS- I'd go to another dealer for sure-- if you are going to pay full price for X739-- you should be getting about 5k for trade( yes I know dealer will list it for 6k and sell for about 5500. I wouldnt take that kind of loss for a less than two year old tractor. If possible I highly and I mean highly recommend you find another dealer even if it means you have to travel a bit for sale- at very least talk to reputable dealer, I think you will enjoy the buying experience much more. I am absolutely thrilled with my dealer- they are always straight up with me, giving me quality price and service for fair price, and most importantly I trust them

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The company I spoke with was United Ag and Turf and I think the only other dealer in my area that sells this is called Austin Turf and Tracor. I'll talk to Austin Turf and Tractor just to see if the experience is different. I'm also going to talk to another rep at United Ag just to see if I get a different experience. So, are you guys saying if I did get an x7 series new that there are aftermarket loaders out there I could get?

I bought the 590 used with 40 hrs and felt great about the purchase. It's a 2018 x590 and I picked it up in summer of 2019 with 40 hours and a deck and is was like $4,800. I felt really good about that deal. I'll buy used if it's in good shape and isn't too abused.

I'll update when I visit the other dealer and the other rep from United Ag and Turf. No I'm thinking "who needs a new tractor" anyway though. I'd rather save some coin if the old machines mow well.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts