My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would imagine that I trailer is the best and easiest way to haul tractors around, but do any of you guys just haul your tractor in the back of a pickup truck? I have been looking for a 400 series Case and if I ever find one, I don't have a trailer but have a full size long bed pickup, and was wondering how it would ride in the pickup or if it would even fit? I have 2 wooden sturdy ramps that I had used in the past for a 4 wheeler.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
About a year ago I took a drive down I-78 to look at a 444. Mounted plow, loaded tires, and included a 48" deck. If I had to guess, it probably weighed 1200lbs as it sat... plus the deck. I backed it onto my truck using aluminum loading ramps spec'ed for a half ton. I stood off to the side, deciding not to add my 240 lbs to the equation, and gently backed it slowly up: Praying they wouldn't snap or bend my tailgate in half. Surprisingly, it went in easily and I had plenty of room to close the tailgate on my longbed Chevy 1500... No damage whatsoever. The truck rode lower, unsurprisingly: But wasn't even close to maxing out the suspension. It drove fine.

If it has a 44" deck with removable chute it'll fit between the wheel wells in my Chevy. If it has a 48", the deck has to come off unless I want to drive home with the rear wheels on the tailgate. Trust me... you don't want to do that. In a hurry to bring my father his 226 with an N46 deck, I loaded it half a$$ed and the extra weight that far back acted like a counter weight. Think of it the same was as overloading the dresser on a motorcycle and trying going for a ride. It's not fun.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Two weeks ago I drove halfway accross the state of WI for this 226 with 2 mower decks and 3 deck hangers. It all fit in the little S10 :praying: and handled fine doing 75mph all the way home. :praying:
To load I used wood planks and backed up to a hill.:fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Nice 226 tractor Mjoe7, here is my MF 320GTX (the equivalent of a 4020PS) on the back of my truck with an 8 ft bed coming home from Indiana to MI.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I've hauled them in my truck bed before but I still prefer a good trailer and it's much safer loading/unloading IMO. slkpk

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
I certainly favor trailers, but a pickup will do.

Unless you are loading in flat off a hill or dock, I sure recommend going backwards up the ramp. Really hard to flip it if you are going backward.

Also, the rear tires are the furthest thing out ... so makes a good surface to pull the straps up tight against without hurting the tractor or truck/trailer.

Brian

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nice looking ride. And I'm a Chevy guy at heart.
I was thinking the same thing. I bet it likes transmissions though. :thThumbsU

·
1,359 Posts
Are all us Case guys Chevy guys to? :thThumbsU
Ford man in Chevy clothing. I like my Cheyenne, but not so much since I've gone through four transmissions in three years. I guess the raw power of the 4.3 is too much for the 700R.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have a rock wall on my property that is the same height as my truck bed. Just dock load it like a big truck.

When I picked my tractor up, all we had were wood ramps and I was very afraid they would not hold. They sure did bend, but they held fine, I have to either get a trailer or some new ramps very soon. Don't want to press my luck any further...

also, I am a chevy man from wayback but a free 1994 F250 extended cab in decent shape and a good runner to boot changed that in a hurry. LOL

·
1,359 Posts
I'm not much into Chevy's or Ingersol's.

But I looove my GMC and CASE. LOL
It's funny today how GMC people will never own Chevy. Anymore GM is GM. Way back when a GMC was a totally different animal... Different body, heavier frame, GMC specific engine... Nowadays a Sierra is a rebadged Silverado same as a Yukon is a rebadged Suburban.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks for all of the feedback guys. Yeah I'd have to imagine that a trailer would be safer and easier to load but it's good to know that when I find a tractor or go take a look at one, I can just take the truck and it will haul it if needed. I didn't have a good idea about the weight or size of the tractors but looks like I'll be ok. I have a Chevy too by the way, over 200K miles and still going strong (with just one minor transmission transplant I did a few years ago in the driveway).

·
Registered
690 Posts
I got a trailer:

Because I was sick of doing this:

I hauled my 224 around with the rear wheels on the tailgate a few times for short distances, and didn't like doing it at all

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello-my first post to the site! The only way I have transported my two GTs is in the the back of my "light" Sierra GMC pickup. I transported my Case 224 350 miles to Virginia and picked up my Ingersoll 446 in Maine-it even took a ferry ride back to Long Island! No weight issues on the highway. I would recommend only backing up on the ramps to get it on the truck. Note that the mower deck can be a problem in two ways. Going up the flat ramp it hangs up near the top. I work it up and in with some blocks. I understand arched ramps avoid this problem. And also clearance between the wheel wheels depending on the deck model can be a problem. You can of course take the deck off . If you buy ramps be sure to add your weight in to the equation. These tractors are heavy. And tie it in real good-I slammed on the brakes coming back from Maine-was cut off-and also good enough so if you are in an accident it doesn't end up in the cab! Lastly, the standing recommendation is to take the tail gate off for the ramps. But probably most of us don't. I don't but my steel cables are in good shape. Be careful. Pickup transport is simple- no extra tolls and trailer to worry about on the parkways. Just a little scary getting it in and out of the pickup. AC/CASE GUY

:smilie_fl:Orange_tr:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 67 Posts