My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Very big variance throughout the area. I live in the very northern tip of Chester County. Scout and I have a view of Berks county when we walk out of the woods onto a soybean field. I hadn't heard of anyone less than 9-10", but not far from me were areas of 24-27". It was still snowing this morning, almost 70 hours after the start.

(Adding this picture from the Soybean field)
The barn is still Chester County, but just past it is the river and the mountains behind are all in Berks county

And, as promised, Scout and I hit the log with a broom this morning for work later today:

And, should be back building the wall again later.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Neighbor had a couple standing dead trees in a fence row about a half mile away that needed taken down. With the cold and snow, Saturday was as good a time as any to cross his chisel plowed field and snag them. My goal is always minimal handling so any time I can drag whole logs right up to the pile next to the boiler I will do it.

This video is nowhere near Jere quality, but it's my favorite technique for hauling whole logs around...

After I got these home the neighbor kid and me took the truck back and got a whole truckload out of the tops. The neighbor kid was skeptical of working in single digits, but he managed to break a sweat by the time we were done.

After we got back I started cutting/splitting the two logs. One was a silver maple. It split the second the wedge touched it. The other log, I am guessing, was elm. The 21 ton splitter grunted ALL the way through it and even then I couldn't rip it apart. I turned it 90 degrees and did it again, and again, and again. Still too stringy to rip apart. I just hooked a chain to it and drug it out behind the barn to fight with another day.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
G_huns, looks like fun!

What model is that tractor, and how deep was that snow?

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Nice!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
A short video moving one log with the grapple in preparation for bucking.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Nice! Is that your machine? I don't see it on the list in your signature.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Nice! Is that your machine? I don't see it on the list in your signature.

Mike
The tractor belongs to my Dad. We have a large collection (30+) of mostly older tractors with a few newer one's. I own 5 of them plus a couple parts tractors and Dad owns the rest.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
What year is it? Hard to tell from the video angle how big it is.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
What year is it? Hard to tell from the video angle how big it is.

Mike
I think its a 2012 Workmaster 55. Its 55 engine HP and 47 PTO HP.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Nice!!! That'll move stuff around!

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Just a boring 2WD Craftsman tractor and 10 cuft cart yesterday. Had to clear the path with the blower first. Still have a solid base (ice) layer to ride over.

Mike

20210213_171255.jpg
20210213_171301.jpg
20210213_173803.jpg

Reactions: Jere39
4,235 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Grooming Firewood Trails

I like the snow for dragging firewood. It levels out my trails, smooths the drag process, covers over the roots and rocks, and is just prettier than the dirt and leaves. But, this year, it was getting too deep. I was dragging the centers of ATV, Cart, and Tractor. So, I've taken to running the plow, partially raised around my trails. And, this morning was perfect weather (23° and sunny) for grooming the trails and getting back to moving firewood.

Here for your review is 17 minutes of operator perspective grooming. It might get boring, no worries, bail out whenever you want. But, the x728 does a great job of keeping the roads of productivity in service here on the summit.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,277 Posts
So now I have questions. Is that entire area that you groomed yours? That is quite a stash of firewood. Does keeping it uncovered affect its drying time?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So now I have questions. Is that entire area that you groomed yours? That is quite a stash of firewood. Does keeping it uncovered affect its drying time?
Everything I drove on, and plowed was my property. And all the stacks of wood are the fruits of my labor. I'll take a look at the video, but I suspect there were times when you could see beyond my property into the woods (about 75 acres) of a neighbor who has been working on contract in Japan for two years. Ten years before that he was in Kuwait, and 10 more years in Quatar. I don't harvest anything off his property (trees, deer, anything). But, Scout and I have access permission for hiking to our heart's content.

As far as covering my wood piles; I can't say if it affects seasoning. I personally believe it would be like trying to time the market. If I covered it all the time, it wouldn't get the same amount of sun and wind. OTOH, if covered, it also wouldn't get rained on nor snowed on. And, If I tried to cover it before weather, then uncover before wind and sun, I'd just frustrate myself. Got plenty of that going on already.

Reactions: APinNY and mikeinri

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,277 Posts
Jere, you and Scout are vey lucky to have all that room to wander. I don't use much firewood at the camp in fall, but I built a rack to keep it dry and still let it get air. That would be impossible for you but I would guess you have a holding place near the house to let some of it dry out before burning it.

Reactions: Jere39
61 - 80 of 99 Posts