My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Wow, that seems like a design flaw, or just horrible luck. Maybe you could add a protective plate to that area?

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A couple weeks ago I shared some pictures and video of a friend and I loading and delivery some oak logs to a saw mill. Not sure where we were on the priority list of the mill owner, but the sawed lumber is now home, stickered, and seasoning for probably 2 years. This is kind of like a Mars mission, it takes a while to finish:

That's 5/4" sawed stuff in the front, the 2" stuff is in the back, where it will likely take a little longer to be ready:

Got some splits, possibly from when it fell. That is the Chestnut Oak on the left two stacks, and the Red Oak on the right (with the blue ends). We painted them so ensure we could tell them apart, looks like that wasn't necessary.

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Jere, you might want to paint the ends of the sawn lumber to seal them. Any old paint (latex of oil) laying around will work. This will slow down the rapid drying on the end which will help limit the checking. (pressure cracks from drying) You are right about the drying time. Air drying usually figured a year per inch. I'm down to three piles now but slowly making my way through them. Mine are all 7 /8 footers that the truck caps are shipped on to my son's business. Maple, oak, poplar, and pine. This is the 12 ft long tool box cover I made for one of my son's boxes.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Wow, that's spectacular!

Mike

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@Newsman
Sorry for the delayed reaction. Thanks for the tip on paint, seems I always have some old latex around I could use. But, I also still have some of this that I painted the ends of that oak with:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Today I hitched, and dragged a couple of the trunk logs of the Ash Tree.

Here is a little over 2 minutes of the hitch and drag of the second log:

And just about 15 seconds of some of the transport of that same log:

And, just in case you don't have anything to do for the next 5 minutes, this is the hitch and pull of the biggest of the Ash logs. It just barely fits in the arch. And, a pretty slow moving guy takes his time hitching and pulling.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Looks great, Jere.

At one point in the first video, you looked like you momentarily lost your balance and stumbled backwards, almost tripping over the log behind you. I was expecting to see you fall, but you stayed on your feet. Nice job!

Mike

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks great, Jere.

At one point in the first video, you looked like you momentarily lost your balance and stumbled backwards, almost tripping over the log behind you. I was expecting to see you fall, but you stayed on your feet. Nice job!

Mike
The hook on the Cant Hook broke a chunk of bark free while I had a good pull going. So, when it let go, I was pulling and lost my balance.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This afternoon my Grandson came to visit me, and help me in the logging. Here he is cranking the hand winch:

Then we drug the last one to our processing pile. He handles the steering, I handle the foot pedals:

And, when we were all finished, I took this picture of what is left to saw/split/stack of this tree:

Not to worry, another big red oak came down a couple weeks ago. When this is finished, I'll be on to it.

Reactions: Chinook3

·
Registered
BX2380
18 Posts
This afternoon my Grandson came to visit me, and help me in the logging. Here he is cranking the hand winch:

Then we drug the last one to our processing pile. He handles the steering, I handle the foot pedals:

And, when we were all finished, I took this picture of what is left to saw/split/stack of this tree:

View attachment 2481292

Not to worry, another big red oak came down a couple weeks ago. When this is finished, I'll be on to it.
Neat video!!! You call that an arch? Never seen one of those. That’s just what I need, is that a boat winch you use to raise the end? Where Can I find one of those?

Chinook3

·
Registered
BX2380
18 Posts
Did a little searching. Only ever saw what I thought were homemade. Guess I live a sheltered life. Well I see what I want for Christmas now. Thanks All!!!!

Chinook3

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts

View attachment 2481292

Your grandson did a nice job of moving carefully by the tree. Won't be long till he take over and you don't get any seat time!! Need to get him a 322 so he can have hand controls and doesn't have to worry about using pedals for forward and reverse!!

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,716 Posts
Good videos, Jere. That logging looks like hard work. I guess if it doesn't kill you it will help keep you from getting old. :)

3,379 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well I have it on its way!!!
Great, share pictures of it when you get it hooked up. Take a practice pull or two if you want, but I've got no room to advise. Hitch 'n Go.

Reactions: Chinook3
3,379 Posts
This is how the zero turn and stand on mowers move their wood. This Brand of carts can go on the front of a zero turn and probably on the back of a tractor. Its dumps 90 degrees where as most carts dump at 55 degrees.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts