My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Felt like we needed a new thread to fill up alongside "Felling Trees" and "Firewood Processing". So, I offer up this starter from this morning when Scout and I spent some time in our Home Fitness Center:

·
Professional Homeowner
7,691 Posts
I’ll throw a reply in, since this is what I’m doing today also. My friend loaned me his 2-1/2 yard articulated dresser loader last year for hauling fill sand when we built our house. He heard with wood, I no longer do. Time to pay up for my end of the arrangement...
Just loaded up his 2nd load in a 14’ gooseneck dump trailer with 5’ sidewalls, piled right high. Probably another 3 loads left. This is the largest of 3 piles.

Loading his trailer with Kubota L4610 and crappy clamp on forks that do the job OK, but I really wish were SSQA forks or a grapple.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Jere,

What type of soil is it that never gets the machinery dirty, nice setup.

CCMoe

Reactions: Jere39

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,206 Posts
I think that is all staged, he is never dirty after doing all that work and now the equipment is super clean and looks polished, even the tires show no dirt/grass/leaves/stones/mulch/wood chips, etc. I wonder if he is influencer for those companies???????? Like those on the web.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soil is very rocky, loaded with shale, and covered with leaves, bark scraps, and saw dust. Works great, well, except for growing a nice lawn. I sold my aerator, it just bounced over the rocks, roots, and soil. Sold my roller, it also just bounced. Sold my power-washer, nothing ever gets dirty. Thanks guys. Maybe I should look into monetizing my YouTube channel.

Reactions: CCMoe and RussKish

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,206 Posts
Jere, you just need the right tools for your yard, maybe go up to the large commercial road aerators and vibrating rollers!!! :D:D:devilish::devilish:

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Scout would like the bigger machinery Jere.

CCMoe

·
Professional Homeowner
7,691 Posts
Load #3...

I wish my equipment stayed clean as yours. Member munderhill (Murray) always kept his stuff up real nice, too. I wouldn’t believe either of you guys use your stuff if you didn’t post pictures of it being used. I gave up even trying to keep my stuff clean. There’s a nice protective layer of grease on the metal, and a protective layer of dirt on the grease. Only time it gets washed is when I have to work on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Over time things have just gotten bigger/more efficient. Knowing loggers doesn't hurt either. The season hasn't started for me yet, will in the Fall after golfing starts to wain in October. So far I have two landowners who are holding log landings for me to clean up and another with two landings I have exclusive dibs to.

DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
10-31-19 1.JPG
10-31-19 4.JPG

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
After apple spraying season is done in September, may put this to work too, should be pretty handy. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Over time things have just gotten bigger/more efficient. Knowing loggers doesn't hurt either. The season hasn't started for me yet, will in the Fall after golfing starts to wain in October. So far I have two landowners who are holding log landings for me to clean up and another with two landings I have exclusive dibs to.

View attachment 2465258 View attachment 2465259 View attachment 2465260 View attachment 2465261 View attachment 2465262 View attachment 2465263 View attachment 2465264

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
If I'm hauling wood from elsewhere, I use the Anderson utility trailer. I've also used that as a work table (buck the logs down on it before removing to split).

The tractor carts are the true work horses here. I typically set up a processing area that's in the middle of the yard, which means I need the carts to haul the splits to the stacks. I also use them when pulling wood in from around my property.

When it's time to bring wood into the garage (our 2-week supply for the woodstove in the house), it's either a tractor cart or old wheelbarrow for that job.

I've also used the JB Jr. on occasion. And rarely, the plastic sled...

Mike

IMG_20190526_164726591_HDR.jpg
20200202_141606.jpg
20200524_142520.jpg
20200221_163233.jpg
IMG_20180415_125245576.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Thought I was hallucinating, turns out it was just deja-vu???

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imagine that. Well they say memory is the second thing to go.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Too funny...

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Since there are two of these threads under the Chainsaw Group the Mods might want to merge them. Or, just let them as is since there is very little activity here anyway.

All that said, today my friend drove his well used JD 855 up to my hilltop home. Then back home to bring his trailer up for loading the five Oak logs I had sawed for milling.

There is a small set of YouTube video here representing an hour or so of our efforts this afternoon. First log was the base log of the Chestnut Oak which according to the online Wood Weight app probably was over 1500 pounds. This was way over the lift capacity of the 855, so he pulled it square to the trailer, then pushed it toward the tailgate ramp:

5 minutes of severe test of the 855, and an occasional grunt by me on the Cant Hook:

Then about 2:45 minutes of pure mechanical abuse of tractor and trailer to get it loaded and carefully rolled to the side.

The second and third Chestnut Oaks were nearly as heavy, and well beyond the 855. They were more or less a repeat of the first load.

Finally, we moved on the the Red Oak where the logs were not from the trunk, rather from the two smaller tops of the crown. These were liftable, at least high enough to go over the side of the trailer and onto the second tier of logs:

Ultimately, the trailer might have had very close to 3 tons of Oak. I had to top off a couple of the tires before we strapped them down for trip to the mill:

There is a small mill near my home, and used before by my tractor and trailer owner friend. We unloaded quickly, then spent about an hour chatting with the mill owner/operator. Quick color coding the logs so we can later evaluate the difference between the two oaks:

We unloaded quickly, then spent about an hour chatting with the mill owner/operator. Took a quick tour, snapped this picture of the blade at rest:

Fun afternoon. And, I have my entire lawn cleared again. And about another metric ton of firewood rounds to get split and stacked. Oh, yea, and the trunk of the Red Oak, which lies in the woods, and may or may not be processed till after a good freeze to kill bugs, maybe soften up the briars, and stifle the sweat.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back to hauling the wood to a splitting and stacking spot. I was pulling an almost spilling over load in the 15S cart with the ATV, and on the only steep part of my property, I found I had no brakes on either the left handle, nor foot. I was going up this hill, so it was not a serious problem, and later I found the right hand brake was still working. When I got to my splitting spot I took a quick look under and found I had a stick jammed into the rear brake linkage. It was preventing the brakes from being applied.

Wasn't too hard to remove, what with all the axes and mauls I had with me. Might have been a bigger issue if I had been pulling the load down. Or, if it had speared the fuel line it was jammed up against there. All's well that ends well. Well, except now I have to split this load.

3,371 Posts
I always get a twig stuck in with the belt and the belt breaks or comes off. I'm too lazy to picked them up out of the way and the tractor does a good job crushing them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts