My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Load your tires with windshield washer fluid. It isn't quite as heavy, or expensive, as rimguard, but will help, and won't hurt grass. Use winter blend to prevent freezing.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
last DEC we had an ICE storm here, the R4 were USELESS on that.i am curious to see what you decide to do here. when i say useless i was on my 1025R in 4wd and all it did was spit ice from the front wheels in my face. i was not happy...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
last DEC we had an ICE storm here, the R4 were USELESS on that.i am curious to see what you decide to do here. when i say useless i was on my 1025R in 4wd and all it did was spit ice from the front wheels in my face. i was not happy...
I put HDAP's all the way around. I'm in the process of making a weight carrier on the hood guard, will be able to put 2 suitcase weights on it, got all summer to do that now.
Have used the new tires in a couple of snow falls, the last being wet heavy 6" snow and they are a world of difference, the tractor actually turned while pushing snow with the blade, even angled. Don't know about smooth ice, not much will help other than chains, and DON'T PUT CHAINS ON THE FRONT, the left side will hit the power steering cylinder in a hard left turn and snag the hose. Don't ask how i found this out.
I have often thought about studs in the front R4's. The kind they use in motorcycle ice racing. Screw in the thick part of the lug, but I thought that could lead to other problems.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I put HDAP's all the way around. I'm in the process of making a weight carrier on the hood guard, will be able to put 2 suitcase weights on it, got all summer to do that now.
Have used the new tires in a couple of snow falls, the last being wet heavy 6" snow and they are a world of difference, the tractor actually turned while pushing snow with the blade, even angled. Don't know about smooth ice, not much will help other than chains, and DON'T PUT CHAINS ON THE FRONT, the left side will hit the power steering cylinder in a hard left turn and snag the hose. Don't ask how i found this out.
I have often thought about studs in the front R4's. The kind they use in motorcycle ice racing. Screw in the thick part of the lug, but I thought that could lead to other problems.
Hope this helps you.
These are for tractor tires. Tractor Tire Studs | Grip Studs® Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt | Tractor Tire

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
actually R4 are great in the snow but DO lack lateral stability when side hilling, they have the exact same problem on muddy terrain!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts