My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
From the discussion on the GTT forum, the consensus there is the turf tires are best in snow. You can purchase the turf tires mounted on wheels from greenfarmparts.com, PN: LVB25850. I don't know if they have a discount for MTF, but they do for GTT (GTT is the code). They also have free shipping promos you can combine with the GTT promo from time to time. Its kind of pricey, but it is nice not having to dismount your R4s in the event you need to switch back for some work in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
For what its worth, the X7 front wheels are different than the 1 series front wheels. They use the same size tires, but the offset is considerably different. The 1 series has a lot more room in side to fill up with weights. I have no idea if the X series weights would fit or not, but I would assume so.

·
22,102 Posts
These are on all 4 corners of my MF GC 2310. It will out-muscle a heavier CUT with R4s on hard packed snow.

With a FEL, there is no issue for steering traction as with a front blade. I suggest loading the turf fronts for winter and use the empty R4s for summer and FEL duties

The rears are loaded with Rim Guard, and the spills that I have had have not killed the grass. One spill was from a branch stub in a piece of firewood that poked an inch diameter hole in the tread that dumped most of the 13 gallons in one place. The smell was gone the next day.

This is my winter setup used on 3 different tractors over 37 of the past 40 years. It was also the summer setup for my GTs, but they wore chains all year. The SCUT usually wears a backhoe in the summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From the discussion on the GTT forum, the consensus there is the turf tires are best in snow. You can purchase the turf tires mounted on wheels from greenfarmparts.com, PN: LVB25850. I don't know if they have a discount for MTF, but they do for GTT (GTT is the code). They also have free shipping promos you can combine with the GTT promo from time to time. Its kind of pricey, but it is nice not having to dismount your R4s in the event you need to switch back for some work in the dirt.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I see that turf tires come up often. I'm thinking the HDAP would be a good compromise. I really want one tire, don't want the extra work of switching wheels and tires around.
Will have to take a closer look at turfs though.
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, rides shotgun on my shoulder so he doesn't miss an opportunity to complicate my life. As such, when I didn't have spares, flat tires were common and...at the worst time. Now that I have spares, no more issues with flats. As such, Murphy is free to move to your home....

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,962 Posts
They use the same size tires, but the offset is considerably different. The 1 series has a lot more room in side to fill up with weights. I have no idea if the X series weights would fit or not, but I would assume so.
Yes I think it's good, the weights will not pop out of the rim.

I'm thinking the HDAP would be a good compromise. I really want one tire, don't want the extra work of switching wheels and tires around.
Will have to take a closer look at turfs though.
Thank you for your input.
That's what I think also, the HDAP have more ply, more resistant for puncture, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, rides shotgun on my shoulder so he doesn't miss an opportunity to complicate my life. As such, when I didn't have spares, flat tires were common and...at the worst time. Now that I have spares, no more issues with flats. As such, Murphy is free to move to your home....
Oh he hangs around here a fair amount of time.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
These are on all 4 corners of my MF GC 2310. It will out-muscle a heavier CUT with R4s on hard packed snow.

With a FEL, there is no issue for steering traction as with a front blade. I suggest loading the turf fronts for winter and use the empty R4s for summer and FEL duties

The rears are loaded with Rim Guard, and the spills that I have had have not killed the grass. One spill was from a branch stub in a piece of firewood that poked an inch diameter hole in the tread that dumped most of the 13 gallons in one place. The smell was gone the next day.

This is my winter setup used on 3 different tractors over 37 of the past 40 years. It was also the summer setup for my GTs, but they wore chains all year. The SCUT usually wears a backhoe in the summer.
My 2x have had turfs but i always ran chains, I'm still thinking of a compromise with the HDAP, but then the weight issue. In question if the wheel weights will work, and Rimgard is out of the question.
When i had the leak it dumped a fair amount on the ground and everywhere it spilled some I had a dead spot that took most of the year to recover. Every time it rained i could smell it. It's a good for the weight but I have a negative feeling for it now. I really don't want to swap wheels around every year, I think one and done. I'm getting lazy the older I get. Thanks or your input, a lot to consider for sure.

·
22,102 Posts
Liquid ballast is the only ballast that will increase the ground pressure under the tread. All other forms of ballast are supported by the air in the tire and the tread spreads out to supply more square inches of footprint in order to support the extra weight without increasing the tire pressure dramatically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For what its worth, the X7 front wheels are different than the 1 series front wheels. They use the same size tires, but the offset is considerably different. The 1 series has a lot more room in side to fill up with weights. I have no idea if the X series weights would fit or not, but I would assume so.
Did a little digging and both units have the same front wheel, same part# for both. So if i do decide to go that way shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the come back.

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
Did a little digging and both units have the same front wheel, same part# for both. So if i do decide to go that way shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the come back.
They must be different wheels on the newer AWD machines than my older MFD X748.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
One thing is if you go for turf tires is check the ply rating on them. I had turfs on my 2305 and after 3 years and many punctures I switch to the R4's. It seems that back when they put the turfs on they were not thinking about the weight of the tractor and yards that had wild blackberry bushes that I have now got completely removed and killed off my property.

The thorns of the blackberries would easily puncture the turfs as what was put on my machine was 2 ply fronts. The fronts were always getting punctured so off they went and I replaced those finely crafted pieces of rubber with a good 4 ply R4's. I also had the replacements loaded with rim guard and no issues in the last 6 years with traction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
One thing is if you go for turf tires is check the ply rating on them. I had turfs on my 2305 and after 3 years and many punctures I switch to the R4's. It seems that back when they put the turfs on they were not thinking about the weight of the tractor and yards that had wild blackberry bushes that I have now got completely removed and killed off my property.

The thorns of the blackberries would easily puncture the turfs as what was put on my machine was 2 ply fronts. The fronts were always getting punctured so off they went and I replaced those finely crafted pieces of rubber with a good 4 ply R4's. I also had the replacements loaded with rim guard and no issues in the last 6 years with traction.
I've had more punctures on these front R4"s than all my other tractors put together. They say 4 ply but the carcass is very thin. When I plug them it's like paper. Rears have been fine.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
https://heavyhitch.com/product/quick-attach-front-weight-bracket/
Works in conjunction with the John Deere front quick attach system for quick and easy installation and removal.

Provides up to (8) 42# or 70# suitcase weight carrying capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiXaNrxT3mw&ab_channel=TractorTimewithTim
How do you put the blade mount on with the Heavy Hitch weight carrier installed?
I want weight with the blade on. If that can be done please show me.
That is a nice product though.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I'd just put the Carlisle field trax on the front. looking at the pictures of the Kenda's....... the rim sticks out further than the tire, with my experience, debris will get shoved in between the tire and rim, in time there would be an air leak there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd just put the Carlisle field trax on the front. looking at the pictures of the Kenda's....... the rim sticks out further than the tire, with my experience, debris will get shoved in between the tire and rim, in time there would be an air leak there.
This is what I did, put the Field Trax on all 4. From the little I've used them there is more traction with these than the R4. Now to get some removable weight on the front.
Believe i'm going to make a hanger that will mount on the grill guard, not my first choice but not a lot of options.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I have r4s too. and you never need front wheel weights just lift the blower off of float for a short time.

If your area is real hilly (it must be) only chains will prevent the slipping, especially to the side. Turf tires will give a better bite on snow than R4s too but that gets pricey!

I also see no mention of 4WD, if I have any issue at all I slip into 4WD and move on. No problem at all even on a steep hill... I have driven up 30 degree grade in 8" of snow in the woods (yes 4WD is required)

I do have filled rear tires and a metal cab but that is only about 260-300 lbs of rear tire weight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm wondering what everyone is running for air pressure in these tires? That can make a huge difference. Maybe try lowering it to get a better footprint???

·
Formerly X330
268 Posts
This is what I did, put the Field Trax on all 4. From the little I've used them there is more traction with these than the R4. Now to get some removable weight on the front.
Believe i'm going to make a hanger that will mount on the grill guard, not my first choice but not a lot of options.
Thanks for the input.
What does the Field Trax look like on the 1 series?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts