My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here and seeking a bit of advice.
As the title says, I hate the R 4's on my 1025. Mostly I don't like the lack of turning traction in the snow and no lateral traction, with the snow blade angled it pushes me sideways.
I don't mow with it much anymore, mostly snow plow with a blade and a bit of loader work.
I was thinking of the Field Trac HD. my only concern is the rear are only 2 ply, like i said not much loader work but I don't want to put myself in a bad situation. I may be over thinking this.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance. Now back to reading all the cool stuff on here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that would help, but really not an easy way to mount it, with the snow blade hitch no place to put suit case weights and haven't been able to find wheel weights. Wheels would have to be drilled to mount and I'm not fond of that.
This is why I'm thinking a tire better suited for snow.
Can't run chains as they will hit the power steering cylinder in a hard left turn, ask me how I know this. At least it wasn't fatal.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
I have R4 tires too on my tractor, it's equipped with a front snow blower and that happen to me also, not every time but if the ground is not level or snow are very heavy.
When that happen I lift the snow blower a little bit to regain traction and do a second pass.

Your setup need very good traction because of the forces apply, my front and rear tires a loaded with liquid ballast that help a lot, front wheel weights is an other option.

I think your front wheels are 12 inch in diameter and JD made 50 lbs wheel weights for that diameter.

1025r.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front wheels are 10", there may be weights out there but I haven't been able to locate any.
I've had loaded tires with RimGard in the past and had a puncture, what a mess, killed the grass and a stinking mess, will not do that again.
I was just out looking on how I could fabricate some kind of hanger for suitcase weights. Only way would be 2 on each side and that may be difficult to make strong, IDK, have to keep looking at it.
I saw on another thread a fellow made one for an X series, wish I could do that on this one.
I was hoping someone had a good experience with a different tire.
Thank You for your input, It helps keeping the ole brain working.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i would suggest you take a good look at kenda terra trac i have them on my 322 and don't run any chains and they pull real well on almost black ice and they are 4 ply, the have stood up to me stalling my 322 from full throttle to a dead stop with 600 lbs of weight plus me (160) and a cozy cab (200lbs) on soft dirt the fronts (although my machine is 2wd) perform just fine with buford style a loader and 600lbs in the bucket or an old style 400lb 47 blower or 500 lb 60 inch broom hanging off the front (although i may be getting a set of v61 because the 60 broom pushes the front around sometimes.

just my .02

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
How much weight do you have on the rear? If you have quite a bit you might want to lighten it some to allow the front to go down.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You, I will have to look at those also. I think if I can get a tire that will give more lateral traction it will help a lot.
I have a spot that I have to side hill and have a heck of a time turning up to get off it, fronts just spin, and this is after I have plowed a clear path. R4's may have they're place but they lack in the snow.
Thank for the info.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
How much weight do you have on the rear? If you have quite a bit you might want to lighten it some to allow the front to go down.
Yeah that's a good idea, to much weight in the back could lighten the front traction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to look at those and compare wheels, seems like the X has a different wheel than the 1 series, not sure.
Do you think 30# will help much?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a rear blade and an I Match so 250-300#, but that ain't coming off, I need that.
Really have to find a way to get some weight on the front I guess.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Thank You, I will have to look at those also. I think if I can get a tire that will give more lateral traction it will help a lot.
I have a spot that I have to side hill and have a heck of a time turning up to get off it, fronts just spin, and this is after I have plowed a clear path. R4's may have they're place but they lack in the snow.
Thank for the info.
I know that many tractor owner put lawn tires and say they have more traction in winter steering wise

Like those, Carlisle HD Field Trax

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The HD Field Tracs were my first choice, but i was just looking at the Kenda Terra Trac that North Dakota 322 suggested and that is an aggressive tire also and a lot less money.
Now do I really pursue adding more weight, which means more work when I don't need the weight, or chance tires and hope they help.
Getting dazed and confused.LOL
Thanks for all help guys.
Very much appreciated.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
My suggestion is to go with both, tires and weight.
I know it's not cheap, but you will end up with this setup anyway. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My suggestion is to go with both, tires and weight.
I know it's not cheap, but you will end up with this setup anyway. ;)
You are probably right. I will have to look into those front wheel weights.
Nothing I do is cheap.:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Different animal... but I just put those same front wheels weights in 8" on my 425 with a 72" plow, made a HUGE difference. I was surprised.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts