My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a spare tractor from a flipper on short time as grass was tall and main tractor needed work. 2006ish Husquvarna YT2148 with a Vanguard. Nice machine if I didn't have to repair it so often.

This flipper bypassed all of the safety's due to an electrical gremlin which was fine for a while. Then the fuel pump quit. I replaced the pump and all the fuel line.. Then the drive belt ate the fuel line. New fuel pump was barely working at this point as well.. I installed an electric on a switch. Fine for half the lawn. shut it down and no start, no PTO click. screwdriver started it to get it back to the shop. Somewhere in this guys bypass mess something is broken but it's a total mess. I'm now just wiring in a momentary start switch and a toggle for the PTO... I'd have stuffed it full of tannerite in the back lawn and gave it a couple shots with my new Mosin except I actually like using it

·
Registered
58 Posts
They're not all bad, I would hate to try and make a living repairing and reselling used LT or GTs. My brother buys a used rider about every other year, usually from the same flipper in his town. They are pretty much worn out but repaired enough to make the sale, and he gets a year or two out of them before he runs them into the ground or they won't start because he's left them out all winter. Then they end up at my house, to be repaired or dumped off. He usually pays anywhere from $500 to $700. I've pleaded him to let me find a decent one for him or at least let me check it out before he buys it. He won't buy a new one because of the cost, even though I keep pointing out that he is spending just as much and dealing with worn out stuff. (He does the same thing with his cars, but I refuse to work on those) He's also really hard on his stuff, he pushes those mowers as fast as he can through tall, wet grass, never checks the oil, then leaves them under a fir tree all winter, uncovered. So I find it hard to blame his source for mowers, although I think he could be a little more honest about the condition of the mowers he sells. I resell some of his old mowers, after I've fixed them, but I'm honest with the buyers about what they're getting and they are priced accordingly. I sell them just to get them out of my yard, if I make anything over the cost of the parts I'd be surprised.
That said, I find that a lot of mechanics try to make up for their lack of knowledge by just hacking away, as in your case where they just bypass switches instead of taking the time to properly diagnose the electrical problems. I really don't get that, electrical repairs are usually one of the cheapest things to fix, usually just a broken wire or bad connection.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
It's quite funny, really, but you must be in an area of the country where flippers can work. Down here where I live, it is extremely difficult to find ANY used riders or even used push mowers. On Craigslist around here, one can find the big boys and all their attachments quite easily, not so with the L & G stuff. Just about any L & G stuff you do find is either 10-15 years old and beat to within an inch of it's life or almost brand new where they want just what they paid for it.

Looking right now on Craigslist shows two riders in the past week: A 2012 JD D110 for $1,200 (original price in 2012 was $1,699) and an unknown vintage Bolens for $475. Only once in a very great while do you see some of what you are likely calling flippers that sell a machine that they have fixed up to sell.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In West/Central MI you used to be able to find good deals that would be worth flipping but this year the pickings are meager and most used items are overpriced for what they are. Hopefully next year things go back to normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm in the PNW, I see the same thing, prices all over the place, condition varies from scrap-metal-worthy to almost new. There are deals to be had but you better be quick, the good deals go fast. Anything painted green with a yellow seat will be overpriced. (sorry JD guys!)
Craigslist used to be the best source but now is mostly overpriced, FB Marketplace seems to have better deals. Before I needed a self-propelled walk behind mower I never bought a mower, I was always able to find free ones and fix them. There are still plenty of those. Once in a while a free rider, but usually too old or too bad to be worth fixing.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
This flipper bypassed all of the safety's due to an electrical gremlin which was fine for a while. Then the fuel pump quit
Fuel pump is mechanical so the electrical changes shouldn't have affected that. Probably just a coincidence and not the seller's fault.

I replaced the pump and all the fuel line.. Then the drive belt ate the fuel line. New fuel pump was barely working at this point as well.
Drive belt eating the fuel line sounds like you didn't route the new one properly when you installed it. Again, not the seller's fault, nor is the problem with the replacement pump unless you bought it from the same person you bought the tractor from.

I installed an electric on a switch. Fine for half the lawn. shut it down and no start, no PTO click. screwdriver started it to get it back to the shop. Somewhere in this guys bypass mess something is broken but it's a total mess.
So everything electrical was working fine until you installed an electric fuel pump and switch? That doesn't sound like the seller's fault either. I haven't seen your tractor so I can't say whether the seller's rewiring caused any of your issues, and it is likely a mess, but it doesn't sound like it caused any of the issues that you've described so far, unless the no start issue is a loose wire came disconnected from his rewiring job.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel pump is mechanical so the electrical changes shouldn't have affected that. Probably just a coincidence and not the seller's fault.

Drive belt eating the fuel line sounds like you didn't route the new one properly when you installed it. Again, not the seller's fault, nor is the problem with the replacement pump unless you bought it from the same person you bought the tractor from.

So everything electrical was working fine until you installed an electric fuel pump and switch? That doesn't sound like the seller's fault either. I haven't seen your tractor so I can't say whether the seller's rewiring caused any of your issues, and it is likely a mess, but it doesn't sound like it caused any of the issues that you've described so far, unless the no start issue is a loose wire came disconnected from his rewiring job.
The original vac fuel pump quit on the second time I used the tractor, so I replaced the line and the pump then, and yeah the drive belt cought the new fuel line eventually. But the pump I bought was defective and barely kept fuel to it. I put a little electric on it and I was home free for a while..

His electrical mess has brackets to the switches and all, just taped up into a ball behind the engine sitting on the tray. For sure me moving it aside once or possibly the steering caused something to break

I also had to put 2 tires on this tractor, a new oil cooler as it was leaking and a new battery for the first time I actually went to mow with it.. It wasn't a cheap tractor either

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I often wonder where people get this idea that L & G tractor tyres last for the life of the frame. Every single used tractor I bought has had to have the tyres replaced. Just because the turf tread is still somewhat defined, many assume the tyres are good. After a few years the elasticity of the rubber compounds is almost completely gone. Since for the vast majority of L & G tractors, the only suspension is the sidewalls ability to flex for conditions. Once that hardens, the ride becomes much rougher and traction suffers. Tyres are cheap enough to replace every few years.

Batteries are the same thing. The days of batteries lasting as long as the frame are long gone. Under ideal conditions, the batteries of today last maybe 4 years, if that.

If you buy a used tractor and expect to use it for a long time, it is standard operating procedure to replace ALL the fluids, new battery, new tyres, new fuel pump, new filters and possibly some electrical components.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
My point is that most of the issues that you have described are not the fault of the person that sold you the tractor, unless they adverstised it as "restored" or something like that. You bought a used tractor and assumed the responsibility for anything that went wrong after you bought it, whether you think that the seller was a "flipper" or not. It was up to you to assess the condition of the tractor before you bought it and try to negotiate a fair price and if the seller wanted more than you thought it was worth and wouldn't negotiate, then you shouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'd expected something totally different when I clicked on the thread. We have two very active flippers in my area that are constantly scanning the classifieds and Craigslist. They pretty much make it impossible to snag anything that might be considered a "deal". They are on them in a heartbeat, and then have the tractor re-listed that night at a higher price. So that's my rant.

On your situation, I agree 100% with Noveau Redneck. I think he assessed the situation spot on.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was short on time and drove about 1 hour. I was going to pick up a different tractor that he had, which was quite obvious I would have killed it in short order. Early 2000's Craftsmen LT1000. should have had an opposed twin 18hp but had a 1980's Toro branded B&S flathead 12hp which he admitted the needle leaked on the carb. Great motor just that was really a mess for the $250 he was asking.. He's always got something advertised

I knew the tires on this needed replaced going in. He stuffed tubes in that were the wrong size and they were not round. I work at a tire dealer so it wasn't a big deal. I did those, the oil cooler and an oil change right away... My biggest issue is the electrical mess. I might eventually buy a new harness if Husquvarna still sells it but my bypasses work for now. I solder and shrunk everything and ran a new fuse to it

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I bought a Cub from a flipper when our Toro needed brakes and a battery. He was a straight shooter. For full asking price he dropped Cub off and picked up and dropped off and fixed the Toro. From then on he was our go to guy.

·
3,213 Posts
Agreed it depends on who's doing the flipping. Some guys have a commitment to quality and return business for an honest profit... others not so much.

Check the goods carefully before you part with your coin. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,500 Posts
My name is Ellis. I'm a flipper. Been flippin' for close to 50 years.

Feels better to get that off my chest.

·
5,111 Posts
It sounds like a lot of the things you don't appreciate about the machine were visible when you went to look at it...why the heck did you bring it home?

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
My name is Ellis. I'm a flipper. Been flippin' for close to 50 years.

Feels better to get that off my chest.
Hi Ellis! (Is this a 12 step program?)

Reactions: tiretrx

·
5,111 Posts
I think it is ...and that post was step 1 😁

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,500 Posts

·
Money Pit
490 Posts
I rebuild refurbish and even restore lawn and garden tractors. I'm what I would say a high end flipper repair shop. All my machines have to function as they did when they were new, and I mean everything works. I stick with two brands, John Deere and Husqvarna products, to keep things simple. I do buy other brands but generally just for the engine. I'm always tractor rich and engine poor. I buy over 100 tractors a year and give away 30 to 40. When I scrap out give away Free parts tractors, usually 5 to 10 every 3 months, the what I call low end flippers come running. Then not too long after I will start to see some of my old tractors for sale. Some of the flippers do a decent job and others are a total hacker. I've seen some MTD's with a Husqvarna deck or a John Deere with a MTD deck or a 12hp engine replacing a 22hp engine and so on and so fourth. The real crazy part is they ask a lot of money for a hacked machine and get it and I mean a lot $800 plus. The sad part is when I have a customer show up with my old parts tractor wanting to have it repaired. LOL. Sorry I can't help you.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like a lot of the things you don't appreciate about the machine were visible when you went to look at it...why the heck did you bring it home?
I knew the tires were bad, but I work at a tire shop so, I just ordered the cheapest thing I could ( Hi Run Turf II's IIRC ).. I knew he bypassed the safety's, but I didn't notice HOW he bypassed the safety's as that mess was stuffed behind the engine where it was not visible... The leaking oil cooler really wasn't a big deal. It was $30 and 15 mins to replace.. I still don't have a lot into the machine but more than it's worth probably.. I could pull the 21hp Vanguard and get most of my money back I'm sure..

In my area, we don't seem to have 'quality' flippers. This guy was for sure pretty handy, perhaps TOO handy. I don't know if Eric still is on this site, but I'd have probably made a trip to him to pick something up from him as I know he does the right thing.

Myself I put a Kawi FD501V in a Bolens ST140 lawn tractor and fabricated an MTD 42" deck onto it. Yes it worked but no I'd also never try to sell it but my grandfather still uses it from time to time

1 - 20 of 25 Posts