My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Those do look pretty sweet, but I wouldn't have much long-term faith in them. That's too many parts slapped onto a light-duty machine. IMO, you want the wheels to spin on a machine like this. Give it too much traction/force and things are going to bend and break. That's a whole lotta wheels for a simple rubber friction wheel drive system!

We've got a few track-drive Honda snowblowers at work. They work well, but to be honest, I prefer a simple 2-wheel model. You can move & reposition them real easy, where something with 2 axles or tracks, you have to drive it with the controls.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Those do look pretty sweet, but I wouldn't have much long-term faith in them. That's too many parts slapped onto a light-duty machine.
That does look pretty beefy. A rubber wheel drive system? How does that work?

Heh, speaking of too many parts slapped on a light-duty machine... sounds like my situation (below). The Auger asm weighs half what the tractor does. Four wheels also.

But it doesn't fit down the front walk (in left of picture), so would be nice to have a smaller walk-behind for that. Or I suppose I could just break down and use a shovel...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
That does look pretty beefy. A rubber wheel drive system? How does that work?

Heh, speaking of too many parts slapped on a light-duty machine... sounds like my situation (below). The Auger asm weighs half what the tractor does. Four wheels also.

But it doesn't fit down the front walk (in left of picture), so would be nice to have a smaller walk-behind for that. Or I suppose I could just break down and use a shovel...
Yeah but Toolin, you're rig will turn sharper than that one at the top!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
4x4 snowblower by CubCadet. better then tracks. I would love to have 1.

Mine is 9 years old and has been fantastic. Not a minutes problem with it. slkpk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Or I suppose I could just break down and use a shovel...
NEVER! If it can't be done my a machine or power tool, then it doesn't need to be done.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
..A rubber wheel drive system? How does that work?
The vast majority of snowblowers use a friction wheel drive system for the different ground speeds and reverse. As far as I know today, the only ones that don't are the hydrostatic drive units like Hondas and Yamaha. It's real similar to the drive system on a Snapper rear engine rider if you've ever seen one. Here's a clip on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lorbol4sUdw

Joel

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Mine is 9 years old and has been fantastic. Not a minutes problem with it. slkpk
Good to know! I have read a post or two over the years on this specific model where owners had to replace bushings and parts of the drive system, that's about it though.

Joel

·
Premium Member
8,256 Posts
It just looks like it would be harder to manhandle to steer, unless it has some sort of steering control that would turn the wheels on one side faster that the other. Otherwise you're fighting twice the traction to try to manhandle it to turn. I've got my hands full with mine that only has 2 wheels. Mine has never wanted for traction, but I have wanted for strength to make it turn

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It just looks like it would be harder to manhandle to steer, unless it has some sort of steering control that would turn the wheels on one side faster that the other. Otherwise you're fighting twice the traction to try to manhandle it to turn. I've got my hands full with mine that only has 2 wheels. Mine has never wanted for traction, but I have wanted for strength to make it turn
You can steer it with the triggers on the handles that go to the brakes. slkpk

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You can steer it with the triggers on the handles that go to the brakes. slkpk
Speaking of triggers on the handles.

Two years ago I bought a new 8 horse Toro walk behind blower.

Prior to that I had a 10 horse troy built walk behind for about 10 years.

Winter came and the first time I used the Toro I found it really hard or cumbersome to spin around, unlike the troy Built would turn real easy.

The 8 horse Toreo would beat you up making turns with it, it was a bear to use.

I went back to the dealer and got the 10 horse with the triggers on the handles, it was like night and day, just a whole lot easier to turn.

Rob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
4x4 snowblower by CubCadet. better then tracks. I would love to have 1.
Meh, I think a tractor with a blower is the better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts