My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! I'm buying my first garden tractor, and have been reading all the posts on Husqvarna chassis problems because I want to get a JBJr and do some moderate ground engaging (e.g., clearing small garden beds, moving mulch, dirt and rocks around).

Older posts say the frame was 12 gague. Looks like now it's 11 gague (Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers TS 348XD), but they don't say anything about the chassis support that other posts mention.

Do folks think the 11 gague frame will make the difference? Even if they don't use a c-channel?

Anyone using one with a JBJr or similar with good or bad results?

Thanks! First time buyer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the 348XD with the Husqvarna front scoop, not the JB.
I've have about 45 hrs on it now with a lot of time moving loam, gravel and mulch. Some of that is digging out an old gravel parking area that was packed, dirt filled gravel and required some significant scraping to complete. All of that was done without chains or weights.

Tractor came with the chassis support plates - They aren't all that well designed but do add some strength. A much better support plate could be made to support a much larger section of the frame.
My belief is that you shouldn't damage the frame unless you abuse it or hit a rock/stump at speed or you add significant traction (chains, AG tires, wieghts, etc).
I now have chains on the tractor to help with snow clearing and see how the increased traction can easily put significantly higher stress on the frame. If you add chains and wieghts it would be easy to get carried away and act like you have a SCUT.

The cost to move to a tractor with a heavy duty frame is a big jump - The tradeoff is yours to calculate. If you beleive you will be doing work that requires the tooth bar on the JBJr then I would say move up to a JD700 level of tractor. If youhave the skills/tools to do a frame replacement then roll the dice. If you are only going to be moving loose material then just be mindful of stumps and hidden rocks.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Hi folks! I'm buying my first garden tractor, and have been reading all the posts on Husqvarna chassis problems because I want to get a JBJr and do some moderate ground engaging (e.g., clearing small garden beds, moving mulch, dirt and rocks around).

Older posts say the frame was 12 gague. Looks like now it's 11 gague (Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers TS 348XD), but they don't say anything about the chassis support that other posts mention.

Do folks think the 11 gague frame will make the difference? Even if they don't use a c-channel?

Anyone using one with a JBJr or similar with good or bad results?

Thanks! First time buyer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No Husqvarna Has Not Improved there frame at all except for some reinforcement Plates a Few Year ago On Model with 54inch decks But that doesn't help with the frame flew and Bedding issues John will sell You the Johnny Bucket But he will tell You that it won't support it Now He Not a engineer But He has been Building these Buckets for about 20 years now Prior to the Johnny Bucket he was a Bolens Tractor Mechanic so He Know though those Years of working for a Bolens Dealership what tractor work for His system. Murray used a Stamped Frame But they Put a Lot of cross bracing something Husqvarna does not do and even with That cross Bracing there Just not strong enough to use a Johnny Bucket without damaging the frame

Now Husqvarna Looks Great On Paper Diff/lock Kawasaki engine & a K66 trans it Can do Ground engaging on Paper But without a sturdy Frame you defeating the Purpose it does Look Like a Good deal But it's really a Lawn Tractor with some nice trinkets

Now I grew Up with or served In the Army with People who are Now Territory Reps For Husqvarna & MTD and I grew Up with one Deere engineer & served with 1 Deere engineer Plus My youngest son will be a Deere engineer starting in April.

My friend at Husqvarna started with ROPER who transferred to Electrolux when Electrolux Bought ROPER to form American Yard Products. Electrolux spun off all it's Outdoor Power equipment Under the Husqvarna Label In 2006 My friend was Transfer to Husqvarna He is responsible for all the Territory Reps In North America since about 2010 one of the Most common complaints they Have to deal with is Frame Issues and Many time Husqvarna will not cover the Issue especially if Your Using aftermarket attachments when You damage the Frame.

The Biggest sore for His People is the warranty Now they Only deal with the Husqvarna components if it a Transmission or engine Issue they will tell You to deal with those Manufacturers for warranty service. Prior to 2006 Under Electrolux they would Warranty the whole Tractor except for some engine Models where You Had to deal with the engine manufacturer. Since They have Been spun off Warranty can be a Nightmare for the Dealer, the Purchaser and the Territory Man Because corporate will try to wiggle there way out of covering issues if they Can. They even sometime do it when it's a OEM attachments the front Blades and Blowers have caused issues where Husqvarna still does it cover it they Put it to customer abuse.

Saw a Member Here recently says He is Happy with his Tractor But has already had to hammer his frame Back into Place and He was Using a OEM front Blade . Had another Member Here bend His frame while Mowing. Frame flex is Fine with a riding Mower when You Not going to Be using it for Ground engaging or Snow removal.

If You Haven't Bought a Tractor Yet I would say Look at the Cub Cadet XT2 GX 54 D as of the 2021 Model Year it Has a Kawasaki, K62 with Pedal Operated Diff Lock Only 93Lbs of Torque less Than a K66) But it Has a Channel frame which is Up to the riggers of Johnny Bucket Use and it cost about $400 more than the Husqvarna your Looking at But You won't Have to worry about bending your Frame using a Johnny Bucket Jr for Moving lose stuff Like Dirt, Gravel Sand or even Mulch and You Probably could do a Little Bit of excavation with it and Not worry That the frame Is Going to Buckle on the front end. Plus MTD, Cub Cadets Parent company warranties the whole Tractor including Engine and Transmission it a 3 year warranty Unlimited Hours You could Put 500hrs On it if Your Not at 3 Years they will still cover it Most of the time No questions asked

The wife & I Bought a 2017 Cub Cadet XT2 54 D for a friend of Ours There was a Oil drain Issue(Kohler Came out with a fix during Production) and a fender deck Issue(which was do to His sons abuse) and it was covered By MTD. MTD even threw In a New seat under warranty during the fender deck replacement. He Has over 400hrs On it and it is still running strong for all the Mowing and snow removal he does with it.

There are several Medium Garden tractor Manufactures Out there where the Tractor is Capable of doing ground engaging work Cub as I mentioned The Deere X500 series The Simplicity Conquest or Prestige Then there is the Cub Cadet XT3 series as well. Nice thing about the Cub Cadet XT3 series Besides supporting John Bucket use as well you have a choice of Mowing deck sizes 42, 50, 54inch Stamped decks and 48,54 & 60inch Fabricated decks The XT3 GSX has diff/lock, Power steering and electric Lift for deck and Front Blade the XT3 GS doesn't Have diff Lock or Power steering and uses a Manual Lift for all attachments It still shaft driven from engine to Transmission and a Frame that Can stand Up to Johnny Bucket Use.

You Might want to consider some Late Model Used with warranty such as Deere from this dealer Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power they ship around the Lower 48 using mayflower movers They don't Have a Lot in right now But come spring they'll have a Lot of quality used Deere X500 series.

In closing I would say to Look for a Tractor That is going to Hold Up to the work You want to do . There are some None C channel frame out there That will hold Up to Johnny Bucket Use such as the Old Wheel Horse That used angle Iron Frames which remind You of a stamped frame.

If You want New and Under $4,000 The Cub Cadet XT2 GX 54D is a quality Tractor That will with stand front and rear attachment use (y)

·
Registered
224 Posts
IF you are doing work on a small area then forget obese lawn mowers and get some real earth moving equipment.
I repair a few Dingo stand on loaders and that would be the best way to go.
They are genuine ZTR loaders and so easy to use it is not funny.
Being a stander you have a better view of the working area.
Most come with a 1/2 yard 4 in 1 bucket which is all most would need.
However they do come with a lot of nice add ons like rotary broom, concrete mixer, post hole digger, flail mower , rotary hoe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts