My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking at the jd lawn roller or something similar. I have about an acre of my yard that the orginal owner never did much with and it is full of humps and bumps. I brought in some black dirt and had the big ones filled in but there are tuns of small to medium humps/bumps all over. I live in northern MN and I think there frost humps and prob. some old gopher mounds. Has anyone had any luck with a lawn roller and these kinds of conditions? I'm thinking a 36" or 48" roller. Thank you and sorry to the mods if I should not ask this here.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd just get one from TSC they are cheaper and get a big one 36" is too small for the X500 i'd say at least 48"

·
-
1,833 Posts
I bought the Ohio Steel 10T and filled it with sand http://www.ohiosteel.com/roll.html. I estimate it weighs over 900 lbs with the sand - i.e. it will crush gravel if there's any on the garage floor. Note, it does make it a bear to move around by hand however and it took me over an hour of standing there with the top of a litre soda bottle filling it with the sand into the small hole.

I ran it over the yard once this spring after rains had the ground pretty soft; before I had to rebuild my transaxle (not due to the roller, just 41 years of use).

It made a difference, smoothing out the yard, only got to run it once though so I plan to overseed and use it to push in the seed this fall.

It just tracks/rolls over and down into the big stuff so the fill you did with dirt is the best bet and what I plan to do soon.

I'd say it would flatten gopher mounds and small/medium stuff but if it's a larger dip the roller will just go down into it and back out - flattening the surface of the dip, but not forcing the land flat. That'd take a whole heck of a lot of weight - i.e. maybe a full sized steam roller.

That being said it did make a noticeable difference when I walked across the lawn this summer after the ground had dried out a bit. Smoothed out the washboard/rough feeling from frost and drying out of the clay soil.

It also smoothed out/flattened my gravel driveway nicely where I pulled it to the lawn.

I have several areas I plan to fill in with some dirt and I also plan to use the roller to pack the dirt tight and flat.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Ohio Steel 10T and filled it with sand http://www.ohiosteel.com/roll.html. I estimate it weighs over 900 lbs with the sand - i.e. it will crush gravel if there's any on the garage floor. Note, it does make it a bear to move around by hand however.

I ran it over the yard once this spring before I had to rebuild my transaxle (not due to the roller, just 41 years of use).

It made a difference, smoothing out the yard, only got to run it once though so I plan to overseed and use it to push in the seed this fall.

It just tracks/rolls over and down into the big stuff so the fill you did with dirt is the best bet and what I plan to do soon.

I'd say it would flatten gopher mounds and small/medium stuff but if it's a larger dip the roller will just go down into it and back out - flattening the surface of the dip, but not forcing the land flat. That'd take a whole heck of a lot of weight - i.e. maybe a full sized steam roller.

That being said it did make a noticeable difference when I walked across the lawn this summer after the ground had dried out a bit. Smoothed out the washboard/rough feeling from frost and drying out of the clay soil.

It also smoothed out/flattened my gravel driveway nicely where I pulled it to the lawn.

I have several areas I plan to fill in with some dirt and I also plan to use the roller to pack the dirt tight and flat.
Thank you the big stuff I filled in but if I were to fill in ever hump and bump it would cost me 5000.00 in black dirt. I have all ready brought in 80 yrds of black dirt and don't want to spend any more if I don't have to and I hate to have someone come in with a bobcat and harley rake and scrape everything down and have to start over because the grass is great its just the bumps so I hope this will work or at least make it livable.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,455 Posts
I see you are wasting no time putting the new X500 to good use:trink40:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:Tractor2:Thats rite!

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
The taller thinner rollers will put more pressure on the ground. They aren't as stabile as the wide ones but if you go slow it wouldn't be a problem!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I hope it'll work. So would you do the 36" or 48"?

·
-
1,833 Posts
The taller thinner rollers will put more pressure on the ground. They aren't as stabile as the wide ones but if you go slow it wouldn't be a problem!
1" x 48" high! :)

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
it took me over an hour of standing there with the top of a litre soda bottle filling it with the sand into the small hole.

Ah like sand through an hour glass, The Days Of Our Life :crybaby:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I got one of those very skinny rollers (rented) 36 inch about 400-500 pounds... It really didn't make a dent only any of the "bumps" in my yard... It may work for gopher holes, and it probably depends where you are located (clay soil out here in IL) I think I'm either stuck with renting a hydrostatic double drum roller or filling it in with dirt...

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Neighbor has one and filled it then added about 12 cement blocks on it. It does make a dent on anything it goes over. I suspect it must be about 800 - 1000 lbs and about 32 inches wide. My 48 inch Agrifab plastic one just does not do what his does!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Neighbor has one and filled it then added about 12 cement blocks on it. It does make a dent on anything it goes over. I suspect it must be about 800 - 1000 lbs and about 32 inches wide. My 48 inch Agrifab plastic one just does not do what his does!
Our local rental shop has a taller 36" steal one I think I'll try I hope it helps I'm done buying black dirt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts