My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the Gravely 018543 muffler onto their machine? I think I am going to give it a shot on my 16/6 Tecumseh and am looking to see if anyone else has done this. I know the inlet size is different but nothing that can't be overcome easily. The overall size is similar to what was on the tractor originally, or at least when I got mine. Heck, it can even be oriented for a mini stack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ive never thought of putting one on my sears but i have thought about turning the one on my Brothers 408 out and making it a mini stack

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Cool little muffler. keep us posted

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have that muffler on my 12horse Sears in my avatar. I made it into a stack, and yes it is much quieter than the "pepper can" mufflers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that muffler on my 12horse Sears in my avatar. I made it into a stack, and yes it is much quieter than the "pepper can" mufflers.
.... quieter before or after the longer pipe to create the taller stack? (seems like a logical question to me). I plan on keeping mine horizontal adding a short curved tail piece angled away from the tractor but still toward the ground.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
I have been wanting to buy one of those for a while, but the pirce is a lot higher than an actual stack.

·
Registered
412 Posts
On my old Murray 16hp twin has two pepper cans...The new 26hp GT6000 has one 4"x5"x10" muffler..Out of the two,,Both are loud but Murray has a deeper tone I can live with...The GT6000 muffler must go..Annoying loud tinny sound at idle..more rpm and the higher tinny sound it makes..It sounds like thousands of wind chimes dragging under the tractor..
Did anyone hear the Super Trapp Quiet Mufflers I found at
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've never ran it without the stack pipe attached to the muffler, so I can't tell you if it's quieter one way or the other.

However, I love that muffler when I'm working the tractor for awhile, as it's more bearable than when I ran the pepper can.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I should also mention that my muffler is a "Nelson " brand muffler off of a FF20 Sears onan. It was a used one, so yours may be quieter.

It does look identical to the picture you showed in your OP.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one on its way to me is listed as manufactured by Sunbelt. I've seen alot of them made by Stens at almost twice the cost. Now I've got to wonder about the quality of each name brand given the price differential. I did notice some relaitvely minor design differences in the in and out pipes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed the muffler yesterday. It is definitely quieter than the pepper pots. I can't say exactly how much so but it is much more tolerable. I have it temporarily (I think) plumbed so it is outside the hood, unlike stock. It will fit under the hood but a tailpiece for the exhaust side is a must in this case. If it isn't curved down and out the nose will get cooked, and I imagine any wiring up front will burn.

However I do have an issue. The muffler is glowing red. If i remember correctly that could mean carb adjustment, exhaust valve seat, or a cheap metal muffler.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so this is my opinion of this muffler for the OH160 - it's too small/restrictive. I expect that Gravely engines are similar in displacement as the Tecumseh on my 16/6, and this muffler was listed for 12 to 16 hp gravely machines. When I put the pepper pot muffler back on it didn't get nearly as hot. Now I am aware that the carb could stand for a rebuild and the engine has 35 years of work under its tins but I don't think running lean or a bad valve seat had so much to do with this muffler getting cherry red. Live and learn. I'll look into some ATV mufflers or a supertrapp if the neighbors complain - until then its the pepper pot.

Anybody need a muffler?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Tahoe, where in Ohio? I'm just off I271 about 12 miles north of the 271/71 interchange.
Down southwest in "Hamiltucky", 20miles north of Cincy, sounds like your just south of Cleveland, Medina area? Got a friend who lives in Medina, been up there a couple of times.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spent a few years in Medina but moved on. I'm 40 minutes northwest of there via our illustrious highway system in Macedonia, a smaller community north of Akron.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.