My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
blithering idiot
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just inherited what we believe to be a 1952 Harris Power Horse PH-43 tractor. (The gentleman who owned it recently passed away, and although his son-in-law knows some about the machine, he's fuzzy on some of the details.)

It's got a Chrysler industrial 50-horse straight six, and it's a four-wheed drive, skid-steer type tractor. This particular one is equipped with a dozer blade on the front, and a Wain-Roy backhoe on the back. (The tractor was originally owned by Wain-Roy, and the gentleman from whom he inherited it worked for Wain-Roy for many years.) He's got the tractor running, driving forward and backwards, and all the hydraulics work.

The clutches for steering are giving us some trouble, though. My understanding (forgive my lack of knowledge/correct words for skid-steer type stuff, please) is that when you pull on one of the steering handles, it should disengage a multi-plate clutch, then as you pull it further back, it should engage a brake that acts on a planetary gearset, reversing the wheels on that side. Pulling the handles now does not stop the wheels, though if you pull hard enough the engine will start to bog. My interpretation of this is that the clutches are siezed, but the brakes are still marginally functional, but I don't really know.

Anyway (sorry for such a long first post), does anyone know anything about this neat old beast, or have any advice on how we can free up the steering clutches without tearing the whole tractor down?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Looks like a neat machine. Wonder if it has been sitting long enough so that the clutch packs and the brakes are rusted?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The clutch packs will "stick" and it usually means disassembly on this type !--the power horse is a very neat little tractor, also very interesting!
can you tell if the clutch packs, are the wet disk or dry type? they could be either! thanks; sonny

·
blithering idiot
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not what I wanted to hear about disassembly- this tractor has a lot of heavy parts in a relatively small area. Gotta do what you gotta do, though...

As to wet or dry clutches, I'm not sure. We've removed the access plates under the seat, and can see the brakes. The clutches are, as best I can tell, hidden within another housing. If I'm remembering correctly, my friend said he thought they were dry-plate, and that piece of information may have come from the son-in-law of the owner, who worked on the machine a fair bit over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
i'm not familiar with this tractor at all but it does look like a nice toy to have. with crawlers i've had good luck with filling the steering clutch compartments with diesel fuel and running it a while with the levers tied back

·
blithering idiot
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are definitely dry-plate multi-disc clutches.

·
blithering idiot
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have him check; I'm back at school 300 miles away from the tractor.

He's going to work on it tomorrow, though, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts