My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my old lathe a lot working on the old JD's but I sold it. I'm going to look at a Hardinge DV 59 metal lathe and wondered if any of you had ever had/used one. This may seem off this forum but since it is JD related and maybe will help others I do not see the harm in asking.

·
Shacker
723 Posts
Yep, used one of those for many years. Great little tool room lathe. I was just looking at those this past weekend, but for as often that I would use it, I decided it’s not worth it. Now, if I could get a dynamite deal on one ...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Papa, can you tell me what to look for on the older DV model? Anything that would make it a no-go? I will never use a thread cutting lathe so that is why I am interested in this one.

·
Shacker
723 Posts
For me, if l was to buy one, I’d be looking at how tight everything is. Are the ways in good shape, cross slide included and still tight when using the dial, tail stock included, any extra parts included, ie, collects, drill chuck, three jaw chuck, and tooling. I’d really like a four jaw chuck too. So, to answer your question, if everything feels tight and smooth with regards to the ways and all of the main parts are there, it would be a go. I see a lot of guys paint the lathe so it looks pretty, but as you know, sometimes they’re trying to hide something. And, it should run fairly quiet. Be sure to shift gears and run it. I may have missed something, it’s been many years since I’ve been in a shop. Don’t forget the pics if get it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Papa has great points. I’m not familiar with that specific brand/model. I have a little South Bend. Included tooling can have a huge swing in initial cost and cost to do the work you want.

Also consider electrical supply. Many machine tools are made for 3 phase and can require a phase converter to run at a home shop. If you need to pay an electrician that cost can add up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was an apprentice at the Boston Naval shipyard, then Vietnam, then back into the trade. I ended up working as an experimental machinist for uncle sam and 25 years later jumped ship.

The little Hardinge lathes are very nice for small work, but for all around shop work an old LeBlonde, South Bend or something like that with a 10" or 12" swing would be better choice. Plus, the Hardinge would be much more costly if repairs were needed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
All good points so far. Make sure the ways aren’t severely worn up by the headstock. This where all the facing is done, and the potential for wear is high. Given a choice of a 3 jaw or 4 jaw, the four jaw is more versatile and accurate. Of course both would be nice. More tooling included the better, because you’ll tie up as much money in tooling as you will the lathe haha.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Many years ago a customer gave me this Wade. It was a bear getting it into the basement. I think it is going to stay with the house when I have to go. If you were close I'd make a good deal.:tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
go to the OWWM.org site, Metal Working Machines section. If they don't have an answer, it don't exist. Just like here.

So it has a 3 phase motor, put a single phase motor on it. or get a rotary phase inverter.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you about the new motor or the converter but the owner wouldn't answer my question about existing tooling. As we all know the amount of tooling that is needed to make a lathe useful is about equal to the cost of the lathe. It was far enough away from me that I have no interest in driving that far if he won't answer my questions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's amazing how low cost some of the Chinese "tools" are today. But regardless any lathe I would own would have to be equipped with an Aloris tool post and a draw bar for 5C collets.

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
It's a 3 phase so it's out. Thanks for all the excellent comments.
I'm using a VFD on my 5914 Clausing. Works great! Nice thing about VFD's is they are cheap for these lower hp units.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm using a VFD on my 5914 Clausing. Works great! Nice thing about VFD's is they are cheap for these lower hp units.

https://youtu.be/w2sZOmokK-g

Mr. Beef. Please make us all feel much better. Lose the gloves. Put them away and forget they exist for anything but cleaning the shop. DO NOT wear loose clothing, gloves, rings, watches, necklaces or neck ties. And, always wear safety glasses.

Thank you. Your hands and fingers also thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
Mr. Beef. Please make us all feel much better. Lose the gloves. Put them away and forget they exist for anything but cleaning the shop. DO NOT wear loose clothing, gloves, rings, watches, necklaces or neck ties. And, always wear safety glasses.

Thank you. Your hands and fingers also thank you.
Always good reminder about safety. I am well aware of the safety risk of gloves and other loose clothing. I was merely doing a video on the lathe. I wear various types of gloves about 75% of the time in the yard and shop, not my first choice but I have to protect my hands for my day job.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am a total novice, a real amateur, and have little machine experience. However, when looking for a lathe to fit my very tiny garage space, I went for an import bench top model 10" swing and 22" working length.

Why did I choose this route? I am not looking to do any high precision work requiring a more expensive, heavy lathe. This was a conscious choice by me and maybe I'll regret it. But after almost 2 years, I've done some basic turning work on some "garage" projects that worked out just fine. Last project was a manual angling device for my X500's 48 blade. Used it to turn down the ends of the push/pull rods and to cut threads onto them for mounting etc.

Like already said in other posts, if you can get a pile of tooling and accessories, those will add up to and more than the cost of the machine. I scrounge a local machine tool shop's used cutter bins for my HSS.

Other accessories...hmmm...a steady rest or a follow rest might be useful. Face plate and some lathe dogs? If you go to see the machine be sure to ask about all spare parts, "are there any boxes of parts or tooling around". Sometimes that brings an "oh yeah, forgot, there is a box on a shelf".... Never hurts to ask.

Good luck, sounds like an exciting adventure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts