My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I recently repowered my 1973 Bolens QT-16 with a brand new out of the box 24hp Honda GX-670 v-twin. I'm a little dismayed that I need to seek assistance for a brand new motor.

I've actually driven the tractor for not even ONE hour since the install. The problem I'm having is that although it runs GREAT when its running, if it sits for a few days it is very hard to start.

It appears as though the fuel in the line is draining back into the tank when it is parked. Once this happens, it takes at least a full minute or two to get the fuel back up to the carb. The problem is, by this time my battery is going dead or I've flooded the engine because I'm using the choke to try to get it going.

The engine starts great when I'm using it regularly. It fires up almost instantaneously when it hasn't been sitting.

Does anybody on this forum have any similar experience with these Honda engines?

Does anybody know of a check valve to prevent the fuel from draining back to the tank?

I used to run an electric fuel pump on my Onan due to hard starting with that engine. I'm contemplating putting that on again.

Any ideas?

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Does it have a diaphram type fuel pump ,or just gravity feed?..I have put a "loop" in the fuel line hose,or used a gas filter that had a "bowl" that will store a bit of gas to ease this problem on some gravity feed systems that dont have enough "gravity"and will also tend to "run out of gas" when the tank is less than half full or stall out when it gets lower than that..

I put an eletric pump on my Yard-Man's 20 HP Kohler to end its 60+ second cranking time required to get it started if it sat more than a day or two,,

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Next time you start it, remove the air filter and prime the carb. with some gas. If it starts, you know the problem. If not, a safety system, such as a low oil pressure switch, could be grounding the ignition system. I had one of these engine on a Ditch Witch pipe puller and it was excellent. It is also possible, if the ignition is the problem, to fit the engine with a logic module that will allow it to start with no oil pressure.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Maybe just a faulty fuel pump. Try contacting Honda. They may just send you a new(free) pump. Worth a shot.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did some research on the web and somebody else described this same problem and claimed that the problem was an obstructed vent line. Of course, they didn't specify where that vent was so I'm still trying to figure it out.

The fuel pump is the usual vacuum impulse type pump used on most small engines. I still have my electric that I used to run, so I may toss that on and see how it goes.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hard-starting problem is solved! Sometimes its the simple things that are right under our nose...I found the choke linkage to the butterfly was disconnected!

I can't figure out how it would have come unhooked, so perhaps I never connected it in the first place? At any rate, I hooked it up and she now starts perfectly fine with about 2-3 seconds of full choke.

I'll have to keep my eye on it to see if the vibration could have caused it to disconnect itself. The rod is connected to a lever with one of those little plastic clips that "grabs" the rod.

It pays to give the machine a good "preflight" inspection now and then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts