My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just got a 1900 Ford and went to start it today after the night time temp was at 19 degrees f, and it took for ever to get it to start. Question I have should I buy a block heater that has a magnet to hold it to oil pan or should I swing for the heater that you install in the radiator hose to make it easier to start. Also it sits outside as I have no building to put it in yet.

·
2,808 Posts
We need to know why it's hard to start. Does it crank too slowly? If so is the battery in a good state? Or does it crank for an extended period without firing? In which case you may have a choke issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It cranks good, its a diesel it starts great when its 40 or above. I've never owned a diesel so not sure what you do for very cold weather to help them start better.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
From this site (https://www.tractor-specs.net/ford/1900.html), it says the engine has glow plugs. Depending on how they are setup on your tractor, there may be a button to press to turn them on for some time (5-10 seconds maybe) or they are automatically turned on for some time (turn the key on, GP's go on, and a light comes on on the dash somewhere, and when the light goes out, you then start the engine).

Anyway, you want to figure out if your glow plugs are working, and how they work, and then use them.

·
2,808 Posts
Ah yah... diesel. Make sure your battery voltage is good, and if so try hitting the glow plugs a couple of times before attempting to start. Turn key on, wait a few seconds, off then on again for a few, then try to light the fire.

If that doesn't help then you'll have to dig deeper, making sure the glow plugs are getting power and functioning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glow plugs are working, guess it was Just that where my house I located that the wind blows through all the time and with night time temps getting low it just didn't want to start. I fixed that today though. Got a heater that you install in the radiator hose and wow does that warm the block up really well.fired right up like it did when I brought it home and temps were in the 60's

·
2,808 Posts
^^^That'll do it too... good deal.

If you can keep the wind off the engine at least that will also help.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects such as vehicles (as in, they only get as cold as what the actual temperature is). Now, with a block heater turned on, it will have some affect, as the wind will carry away some of the heat that the block heater generates.

·
Registered
81 Posts
since I use mine regularly below zero I installed a block heater, on board battery charger, pad heaters on the oil pan and hydraulic pan. All my vehicles are winterized this way, but we can get to -50. I don't use the tractor when it gets colder than -30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts