1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I would think that the switch would not carry the current when the winch is under a load. It would be easy to add solenoids with the switch.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Same way it is use on a car, tractor or what have you. You apply 12 volts to it with your switch. That closes the contacts that carries the heavy current to the Winch motor

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I use the Remote that came with my HF Winch. Look on the right side of my Tractor and you can see it sitting in a holder I made for it. Winch is on the front for the plow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i use the rocker switch too that came with the winch. i mounted it on my foot rest to use with my left foot..works very well.

i use the winch to to lift my plow.

·
26,679 Posts
That is a good thought Zippy! I am afraid my big feet and those small buttons wouldn't work all that great when it was cold out.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
125 Posts
ya i havet tried it out in the cold yet.i think ill be fine.if not than ill do make the buttons bigger.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I am asking is because I have a lever linkage I want to use that actuates a switch, and I hate the remote. I wasn't exactly sure on how to use the solenoids to reverse polarity to the motor.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,555 Posts
If you want power in/out using Ford type starter relays,you'll need 4 of them to provide forward/reverse operation.,wired in such a manner so two of them can be activared at once independent of the other two....an alternative is to use a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity and wire a pushbitton to one Ford starter relay ,and only use the DPDT switch to reverse the polarity and the pushbutton to activate the relay,that way the relay contacts take all the load...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used a momentary DPDT switch like the OP listed for mine. It has worked fine so far for me. I don't use mine for constant use tho.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used a momentary DPDT switch like the OP listed for mine. It has worked fine so far for me. I don't use mine for constant use tho.
I thought it might work, especially since it will only be used to raise/lower a plow or sleeve hitch. It won't be used more than a couple seconds at a time, besides, the switch I was looking at is rated @ 20amps for 125v ac. Wouldn't that mean it would be rated for even more amperage on a 12v dc circuit?

Does anyone know how many amps these HF winches draw?
How much amperage are the contacts in the original remote rated for?

The reversing contactor is way too much money for me to even consider using it, and I really don't see why this switch wouldn't work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The remote that came with my winch got destroyed. I tried to rebuild it but it was a no go. There were no relays in the switch that came with the winch, so I just used a regular switch and mounted in a project box from Radio Shack.

I've not had any problems. My uses sound about like yours.

·
26,679 Posts
the DPDT switch should be okay. I would put a inline 25-30 amp fuse in just in case.:fing32:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was wondering if it would be possible to use a momentary DPDT switch to operate the harbor freight winch (2000 lb version, on sale for 39.99)

My concern is that if I try this, It will be too much for the switch.

Would I have to use relays, or would a switch like this be fine?
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-...-ON-OFF-ON-MOMENTARY-TOGGLE-SWITCH-20A/1.html

Thanks for the help,
Doug
If you want something that works and wont burn up, buy one of these
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_24450.asp

I did and happy i did, using switch on snow plow and lifting it burned up quick, not this sol.

12V DC 75A make and break, max On time 5min. perfect for winches.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts