My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a harbor freight shallow well pump to pump water out of an old 20' well on my property, mainly to water the lawn. I already have a hand pump with a pvc pipe I ran down the well for a casing that works perfectly. I ran another 1" pvc line down the well for the harbor freight pump and primed between the check valves and the pump itself. When I kick it on it sprays out the water I primed the pump with but won't draw any new water. I can hear the check valve making a shuttering sound but it just seems like the pump doesn't have enough power to draw the water up. The box claims like it can draw up 26 feet and I'd say my waterlevel is about 20 to 21 feet below the pump at max. Am I doing something wrong or does the pump not do what it says? I did test the pump in a bucket of water and it works perfectly. I know I got what I paid for but I'd at least think it should do what the box states.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The maximum lift is about 25 feet; after that point the weight of the water is too much and a vacuum forms in the lift pipe. In other words that aspect of it is not related to the strength of your pump.

It' always a bit of a challenge getting these pumps primed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some re-thinking of my system and I decided to connect the well pump up to the same pipe as my hand pump, which is 1.25 inch pvc instead of the 1 inch I was using before. I just used a reducing tee and about a foot of 1 inch pipe to hook up to the pump. I used the hand pump to prime the line and now its working.

I chlorinated the well before I sealed it up and wanted to pump out as much of the chlorinated water as possible. It ran for about 90 minutes before the water level dropped below the intake which I figure is about 1000 to 1200 gallons according to the pumps ratings. Is this a reasonable amount of water to expect to get out of an old hand dug well. Id say its about 22 feet deep with a smaller hole drilled in the center about another 10 feet.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
We treated our reservoir with chlorine after it got pressure washed. We could smell chlorine for a while then it went away. I say if you can't smell or taste it, you are probably ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts