My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new here, an auto mechanic all my life... was needing to install new front tires on the 317 and only had flat irons, and just couldn't get the bead broke loose . . . so checking Harbor Freight - I now have a bead breaker for motorcycle tires that works great on lawntractor tires (with alittle patience), and a manual type tire machine. (similar to the full size manual machine I used as a young man at the local gas station in the 60"s) tire machine is light weight = won't take a lot of abuse = but I've got mine done with ease..... got some fairly severe dry rot on the rears.. that'll be next... gonna load the rears soon, so be installing tubes and WWFluid maybe this weekend... look into the Harbor Freight tire machine if your lookin for any easier way to get er done..... price was great also....... :goodl:

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Have the same one. Works well on the bigger tires not so much on smaller ones. Bead breaker sure does come in handy. Welcome to MTF BTW :MTF_wel:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks K91.... amazin site.... was wonderin if the tool will work on the rears..... worked great on the fronts..... I've changed four fronts on my 317 and an older cub cadet I have. just gotta keep the bead lubricated heavily...

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
I bought one and used it to mount the new tires front and rear on my 110 RF. I made an adapter to make it easier to do the fronts and made rubber pads to keep from scratching the wheels after I painted them

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
larry,, didn't get the one you've posted... didn't even see it available... wish I had..... now I gotta reshop..... mine is smaller - lots.... I mount it onto my shopmate ... the bead breaker is a separate tool. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have one of these. It will work on tires of all sizes and you can store it right in your tool box. Pushes the bead over that pesky inner ring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Ahh FileL I have the one like Larry does. Maybe you got the ATV one? I thought about making an adapter like you did Larry or maybe getting a piece of all thread to put in it but for now I just chuck a piece of pipe in my vise for small tires ;)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have the one like KW and it is very handy. I have used it many times to break the beads and remount tires. Works best when you have it mounted to the floor or a trailer deck though.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
larry,, didn't get the one you've posted... didn't even see it available... wish I had..... now I gotta reshop..... mine is smaller - lots.... I mount it onto my shopmate ... the bead breaker is a separate tool. thanks for the reply.
I tried the smaller one first from harbor Freight and I bent it so I took it back and exchanged for this one.
I mounted the smaller one to a sq. tube and attached it to my Heavy Hitch to hold it. I bent it trying to break the bead on my go cart tires.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
I have the one like KW and it is very handy. I have used it many times to break the beads and remount tires. Works best when you have it mounted to the floor or a trailer deck though.
I mounted mine to a heavy oak pallet when I did my tractor tires. I still have to decide where I want to mount it. May come up with something like I did for the smaller tire changer.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I bought the HF tire changer years ago, drilled my garage floor for anchors when it is used (have to blow out the holes before use).
I remember some bending occuring using the bead breaker so that is not used.
Sure is great not bending over on the floor with tire irons though.
Never could figure out what the paddle/ spoon like thingy is on the one end of the long bar. Could have used instructions with it.
Anyone know what it is used for?

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
I bought the HF tire changer years ago, drilled my garage floor for anchors when it is used (have to blow out the holes before use).
Never could figure out what the paddle/ spoon like thingy is on the one end of the long bar. Could have used instructions with it.
One end is for removing the tire, the other is for putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I have the small one and its ok. I do have to a bit careful with it and the all thread has a kink in it now I realized but I just used it to do the tires on my 80 cart and it worked. It does put them on alot better than taking them off. I don't know if I could do rears on it though. I need to pick up the bigger one soon to do some rears and maybe retire the little one before I completely kill it. That's a nice adaptor you made Larry. The smaller tires is why I didn't get the big one but now I see the light.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
472 Posts
I tried the smaller one first from harbor Freight and I bent it so I took it back and exchanged for this one.
I mounted the smaller one to a sq. tube and attached it to my Heavy Hitch to hold it. I bent it trying to break the bead on my go cart tires.
I have that one. I used an old axle and bolted it to a rim and tire. I cut the axle at the height I wanted and welded a flat plate on it and mounted mine. I roll it into a corner out of my way when I don't need it...

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I have the H.F. model, works as designed I "planted" anchors on my driveway for I could secure tire changer as needed, with JD rims having the extra bead to help seal tires I always have to use the bead breaker part. I also have a can of silicone to help tires slide across rim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the inputs .. now I realize I didn't look long enough or I would have found the bigger machine for just alittle more cash... my mistake.... guess if I do much more i'll be shoppin again.... :).... the bigger one is very similar to what I used when a young fella.... the silicon comment brings back some memories... lol.... when I was fixing truck tires back then,, used to pour a can of coca cola on the bead - give it 5 - 10 minutes - the bead would almost fall off then.... amazing. and we drank the stuff ?? :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
use button head allen head bolts when not in use will keep holes clean. that end supposed let you put tire back on by rotating lever around changer. never could get it to do that. but i like walking the tire off with flat end. i broke my flat end off twice but welded back on and still going strong. i have used mine on 17 inch rims all the way down to those small front riding mower rims.worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts