My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this review for those who may want to spray their next project.

This is the gun I am reviewing: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

I broke my nice spray gun from when I painted cars for a living and had to buy something to paint my son's tool box. I am still an ASE certified auto painter, so keeping that in mind for the review....

I am impressed with the gun that I paid just over $10.00 for (20% coupons always in the company car!) :fing32: The paint is not be best to spray, I used the Tractor Supply Valspar, which tends to be more of a "mix till it sprays good, over a pre-set mix ratio" kind of paint. Out of the box, the gun sprayed quite well although there was a slight leak at the cup. Not enough to drip, just enough to get on the gun. I guess teflon tap would seal it just fine, but I have never done so on a paint gun before. The gun sprayed well, and the controls work very nice. I found it very easy to lay out a good paint job with no runs. (Common on poor guns if the air holes are not drilled good. It can change your fan pattern and make it heavy on one side.

This one gets a thumbs up and even a little over the top which I did not expect!

PS, I bought the smaller touch up gun for spraying small parts which I hope works just as well. We shall see when I get a chance to use it. I expect it would be awesome for painting rims and it will see first use on the John Deere wheels.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:thanku: been looking at that one! Guess now I will get it and try it out!:fing32:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Affirmative on the thumbs up for both the 20 oz gun and the smaller trim gun.:fing32:

I bought them to shoot primer with so as to save wear and tear on my expensive guns and have been well impressed with the quality of the pattern and ease of cleaning.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No problem guys, here are a couple of shots of the tools box. The lower box was given to him and was pretty rough. I welded at least two dozen holes that had been drilled into it and my son learned how to apply and sand body filler after I ground them down. He did the body work (with supervision) and he also primed the box, and re-painted the drawers. (Spray can)
The box was all black, but we wanted to match his Craftsman top box and noticed how close he Massey Ferguson matched it. So, that was an easy choice on color!

It's hard to take the photos to get the shine to show, but note the reflection in the bottom box of the blue tarp / spray booth wall compared to the factory finish on the top box. Also... how is that Massey Ferguson red for a color match, eh? The top was not repainted!

Now I am SERIOUSLY thinking it's time to repaint my Snap-On box too! One thing I forgot to mention is that we also replaced the tracks for the lower drawer with some full extension roller drawer glides. They were trashed and these were cheaper than the originals! I have to replace one my Snap-on box's lower drawer now too! :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
Now I am SERIOUSLY thinking it's time to repaint my Snap-On box too! One thing I forgot to mention is that we also replaced the tracks for the lower drawer with some full extension roller drawer glides. They were trashed and these were cheaper than the originals! I have to replace one my Snap-on box's lower drawer now too! :fing32:
Where did you get the slides? I have the non roller ones on my old Cratsman box, and one set is wipped!!! I would love to replace them. Hate to trash the box... it was my first.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul, the ones I used were a standard kitchen cabinet style full extension roller drawer glide. The drawer does come all the way out of the tool box when pulled out, but that is not a big deal. The slides just have a lot of travel! I think they were $16.00 and I had to line them up and drill new holes. If you mount the tool box side first, the drawer side has some holes that will give you up and down adjustment.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contact Snap-On for the draw glides. They are warranted for life.
Not when you take them out with a plow truck! I tried that route and they would not because I clipped the drawer with a plow pulling into the shop. (The drawer liked to "roll out" on me) At the time, they wanted like $75 for the tracks and I said the heck with it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a few of those guns and had horrible luck with them all! LOL.. but I wont hold it against the spray gun considering I dont have the first clue how to paint.
I tried a good gun too and got about the same results. Some day I will make friends with someone who can paint so they can show me how to do it. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've used that gun before. Worked great the first time but dont leave the cup in lacquer thinner to clean it. It will expand and then the cap wont go on it. It did seem to shrink back down when it dried and the cap went on it but still the next time i went to use it the little white gasket at the bottom of the cup broke. It was nylon or plastic, dont know if you can get replacements for it or not. All in all it was a nice gun tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased this same 47106 HF spray gun. I am going to paint my 27 gal air compressor tank with the same Valspar Tractor & Impliment paint in AC Orange. I plan on using the hardener also. Tank is primed w Rust Oleum Rusty Metal Primer.
A few questions:

1) Did you thin with Naptha? If so, what consistency
should I thin the paint to?

2) I figured a qt of paint would be plenty for this project. Planned on 2 coats. How much hardener per 1/2 qt to use?

3) What psi at the gun where you using?

4) How much time between coats?

5) Laquer thinner for clean up?

Any more info/tips you may have for me would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanx in advance,
Tee-Bruce
P.S. Toolbox came out great! :trink39:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts