My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually, happy day after birthday to me!

Figured, it was time, after a lovely cinnamon bun breakfast prepared by the incredibly talented and lovely LittleTractorGal, its time to document some of the cool pressies I got for my birthday! Not surprisingly, some of these were tools!.

Here's my favourite! Okay, a little back story first, my dad threatened that, for this year's birthday and Christmas presents, he was going to go through his tools and give away any of them he doesn't use.... So.... Here's what showed up for me yesterday!

And here's the best part about this set of tools!

Looks like its never been used! Well, LTGal and I can certainly put it to good use, since its only slightly newer than my tractors and her Beetle! :drunkie::fest30:

·
Administrator
4,536 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday Tyson

Those are cool. I have a bunch of gauges, dwell meters and timing lights from way back. Never get to use them anymore on todays cars.

Does the bug you bought still have points?

·
Parts collector
2,761 Posts
Happy B-day to ya!

Cool stuff I haven't use that kind of stuff in 20+ years. ha ha............

·
Administrator
13,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh! Come to think of it, the Beetle got an electronic ignition conversion done by the previous owner, so not sure if I’ll be able to use the dwell tester on it! Well, then the tractors, I guess’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,536 Posts
I remember the dwell on a Chevy V8 being 28-32 degrees, a 6 was different...No idea what the dwell on a single cyl would be? The compression tester will be handy.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,601 Posts
I remember having to use a dwell meter to set the mixture adjusting needles on my 1982 GMC Cabalaro carb,it was one of those electronic feedback ones on a 229 V6 ,and the preferred method was to use a dwell meter!..

I see tools like these from the 60's and 70's at the flea markets and swap meets often..
My dwell meter got melted from being left on the engine too long,so I no longer have one,I still have a timing light ,compression tester and vacuum/fuel pump gauge though--been tempted to pick up another dwell meter if the price is cheap at the flea market--probably only use it once or twice the rest of my life though..
I think one would work on a one cylinder engine if you hook the 12V part of it to a battery,and there must be some formula to determine what the proper dwell reading should be..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts