My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
8,292 Posts
I can see the potential already. They could call it a “vice grip!”
What’s that you say? Can’t call it that? Shoot… stupid marketing department. How much did we commit to that literature already? $1.3 million?
Crap.
Anyone have any other ideas for a name?

·
Super Moderator
12,775 Posts
No other idea for a name...but an idea to improve it...I would have knurled the base of that cone so it would offer a better grip and be easier to turn it...especially to tighten it enough

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,920 Posts
That thing looks hard to use. Plus the jaws will mess up anything you clamp in it. I have a couple like this on my hobby desk:

Bought both of them used for less than a third of what that other one costs...

·
Registered
736 Posts
It's a jeweler's vise - more delicate than it looks in the pic. The jaws are slotted to grip wire and small pieces at different angles, not squash things with immovable force like vise grips. The screw is anchored to the jaws and the cone to the handle so it can be precision tightened by holding the handle and the jaws. it would work great for soldering small parts.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,920 Posts
It's a jeweler's vise - more delicate than it looks in the pic.
Yes, THIS! I use mine for my model railroad work. If you've got something delicate and you need to clean off mold flash for instance, you can have just the right amount of grip power without wrecking your work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes, THIS! I use mine for my model railroad work.
Yay! another railroader. My models have been boxed away for a long time, but I always want to resurrect the hobby. I've been more involved with chasing real trains - like Colorado narrow gauge - lately.
I have a very small bench vise for precision work, but I see where I may need one of these things.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,292 Posts
Yay! another railroader. My models have been boxed away for a long time, but I always want to resurrect the hobby. I've been more involved with chasing real trains - like Colorado narrow gauge - lately.
I have a very small bench vise for precision work, but I see where I may need one of these things.
I believe member @jdcrawler is into model railroading pretty heavily. He posts a lot on the Hobby forum on his VERY detailed builds.

·
forkz
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jd does beautiful work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts