My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you folks recognize this jack? I want to duplicate the lift point ( missing) on this nice item and use it, thanks.
DMAC

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes I recognize that as an old screw lift bumper jack.

The saddle was a C shaped deal that hooked in the jack points on the bumper before they installed energy absorbing bumpers (1974 model year in the US). Post "Safety Bumper vehicle all use some sort of frame contact jack as the bumper brackets will not really support the weight of the vehicle.

You might be able to make some sort of equipment jack out of it but the narrow stance is going to make it rather tippy.

·
close enuff works for me
3,123 Posts
Bumper jacks were a poor design from the start,I used them in the 60's. Am lucky to still be alive, as the car lifted off the ground the jacks would lean towards the car , and if there was any uneven ground , the jack would tipover sideways and the car would crash to the ground, while trying to change a tire. Don't even think of crawling under a car on one of those things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Dad had one when i was growing up used it many a time with him. The one we had was a tripod type was a bit more stable to use. In its latter life it was used as a trailer tounge jack for a higher lift.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I thought it was a bumper jack I used as a kid.:trink39:
Do any of you folks recognize this jack? I want to duplicate the lift point ( missing) on this nice item and use it, thanks.
DMAC
I should have completed the sentence I goofed. And use it for light duty, not lifting vehicles we use our floor jack for that, only to hold items while fabricating.
DMAC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts