My Tractor Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I used to sit in my full-size Chevy conversion van with 102 inch whip mounted to the top of the back bumper with a 6 pill transistor amp and a Cobra 148 GTL with an add-on frequency counter talking all over the place.
I know that's right, the pictures above are of a buddy of mines rig. It is 1 3cx3000A7 driving 2 3cx10000A7s lol.
My last rig was a Stryker 440 with a 1x3 fatboy driving an 8 pill Gunslinger box.
Also had a Fatboy motor maul so I could do 20v if i needed the little extra to get me over a pesky base station if i needed to get my name called
Great fun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
During a good sun spot cycle back in the '90's I converted a 23 channel Cobra Sideband CB rig to 10 meters. With that rig, putting out approx 12 watts, I talked to Spain, Alaska, Brazil, etc. on USB. Really fun times. Sometimes there are sporadic openings going on now but still not at a peak by any means.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I've lost track when all the Peaks were but around
96 to 2002 is when I was doing a lot of talking. I remember still hearing quite a bit of skip on Lower 38 back in 05 and 06 .After that I packed away most of my radios and haven't had any in a vehicle or any set up for a while.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I know that's right, the pictures above are of a buddy of mines rig. It is 1 3cx3000A7 driving 2 3cx10000A7s lol.
My last rig was a Stryker 440 with a 1x3 fatboy driving an 8 pill Gunslinger box.
Also had a Fatboy motor maul so I could do 20v if i needed the little extra to get me over a pesky base station if i needed to get my name called
Great fun

Mine in my van was a No-Name brand and I believe it was 2 2290s driving 4 2879s..
Typical junk by ham standards but I still had plenty of conversations over 1000 and 1500 miles away and they sounded fine and I sounded fine too.

"826 in the Buckeye state"
73s and standing by-

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Mine in my van was a No-Name brand and I believe it was 2 2290s driving 4 2879s..

Typical junk by ham standards but I still had plenty of conversations over 1000 and 1500 miles away and they sounded fine and I sounded fine too.

"826 in the Buckeye state"

73s and standing by-
Here is a Watergate of me talking to your neighbor 103 in the buckeye

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Here is a Watergate of me talking to your neighbor 103 in the buckeye
https://youtu.be/clRdEqAMrKU

That was a great listen! I remember all those big boys with the big Power that used to talk on Channel 6 a.m. all the time throughout the day.

Makes me want to get one out and hook it up.
Probably have to have want to talk to anybody because 2m is really dead.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
That was a great listen! I remember all those big boys with the big Power that used to talk on Channel 6 a.m. all the time throughout the day.

Makes me want to get one out and hook it up.

Probably have to have want to talk to anybody because 2m is really dead.
It's been a while since I've been on the radio. I think it's starting to die off. No more 2879s except Chinese knock offs anymore. They won't hold up to the abuse that the Toshiba's would. That was my 8 pill in the Watergate, and I was driving it with 500 watts peak. So on stock voltage like I was running in this recording I was doing 2kw peak from the 8 pill.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I think mine was rated to swing 1300 pep but I never drove it that hard. Had a variable power knob on the front.
The Toshibas were the only pills to have.
I had a little cheap to mrf455 Motorola's I believe
That would only do about a hundred and ten even though the flea market that sold it said it would do 150. It was good for local but I never could catch any skip with it. Just not enough power to punch through.

·
Administrator
20,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Was looking at some posts on Reddit this a.m. and saw something interesting. Someone had posted a SSTV (slow scan tv) image they had from the ISS. Looked interesting so did a bit of research. (about 10 mins worth). Came up with the info that I needed 2 programs on my smart phone and a 2m radio (or just a scanner that will pick up 145.800).

Downloaded: ISS ? and: Robot36

ISS?
shows you exactly where the space station is at in real time and Robot36 is the program that decodes the transmission. Turned on my 2m radio to the frequency and sat and listened to the white noise for a few seconds and then I heard the transmission, sounded like a packet signal. I was able to capture the transmission with the audio only into my phone. The image was far from good, but that's probably due to some setting problems on my part, but it was pretty neat. I suppose with some further research and settings I could get a good quality picture as the signal was full scale at times.

Maybe this is something that a lot of you have already done, but impressed me due to the ease and simplicity.

Give it a shot!

·
Administrator
20,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
I recently read 23 channel radios were illegal to transmit on. Any truth to that?
No, don't think so. They can't be sold (new) since the upgrade to 40 channels back probably late 1976 or so.

·
Kioti SCUT
345 Posts
I was an Air Force radio operator for many years. I started with the Collins KWM-2a HF radio using crystals to change frequency bands. It had vacuum tubes, and our motto was "tune for maximum smoke."

My favorite was the Harris Pacer Bounce AN/URC-119 HF-SSB. It was big, heavy, but it always worked. Fans can see more at: http://www.railce.com/cw/casc/harris/PBR.pdf

We later went to the AN-PRC-150 manpack, and then eventually to mostly SatCom. Along the way we also had Inmarsat, and Iridium sat/cell phones. The nice thing about the Iridium was that you could call any phone, anywhere in the world, from anywhere in the world. I used it to evacuate casualties in Iraq, and without exaggeration it saved some lives. Cal

241 - 252 of 252 Posts