My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When our kids were small and big proponents of Trick-or-Treating, our neighborhood was pretty much rural, consisting of acreages, with homes separated from each other a considerable distance. It's the same today, except we're not rural any more and new additions have been added close by. In order to handle the situation, Sharn Jean would take the girls in the car, and make the rounds and I would stay home and give out the "treats" to the little goblins and ghosts. In any case, I found that I could make chili and give out treats at the same time; thus supper would be ready when she came home with the exhausted kids. Here is my recipe, as evolved over the years. I think it's the best there is, at least for my palate...and if anyone is interested, I have a He Man Beef Stew recipe I will gladly share also!

Green Chili

2 pounds course ground chili meat
1 large onion - chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (not stewed)...or the equivalent of frozen from last summer's garden.
2 cans Rotel tomatoes/green chilies (your choice of original or hot) Optional: You can substitute another can of diced tomatoes.
1 Package of Williams Chili Seasoning...at least that's my favorite.
(I like to add a couple small cans of mild, diced green chilies also)
One 15 oz can of red kidney beans; drained
One small can of tomato sauce

Add onions and celery and a dash of olive oil to a stew pot. Heat on high heat until onions begin to clarify; stirring often. Crumble and brown chili meat. Drain, if desired. Add the rest of the ingredients and seasoning. Cover and simmer a couple of hours; stirring occasionally.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks 2Lane,

Now I'm hungry for chili ?

BTW, did you get tired or that "other" site where guys just like to start arguments vs help one another out? not talking about you though.

I'm glad our moderators don't put up with that on this site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still go to the other site, but don't participate very much. Most of the dialogue seems to be merely to disrupt any meaningful exchange, so with that in mind, I don't waste my time.

Being new to this site, I am still trying to get used to the format and technique, but it looks promising so far...and I enjoy sharing my recipes and seeing new ones.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So inspired by 2lane,

Here is what I made couldn't find the chilli mix you mentioned so here is what is in mine.

Half pound of turkey - cutting down on red meat.
Two garlic cloves
All the cans lined up in pic
Only half of the hunt s sauce pictured
The chilli starter has enough spices so no other spices.

I didn't follow the recipe on the can.

I like it.. has just a little kick not much.

In three days I'll let you know...that is when chilli is really good.

Edit: found and ordered the Williams chilli seasoning on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,041 Posts
Showed your recipe to the Mrs., gonna give it a go. I love chili. Thanks for sharing!

Also, how about a little info/pics of the cool ride in your avatar?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The car is a 1959 Impala, purchased new by my Uncle in April of 1959. I bought it from my Aunt about 20 years ago, after his passing. It has 57,000 actual miles, and is an all original survivor. It has factory paint and interior; a 283 V8 with power glide. I'll see about posting pictures; I'll have to learn how first.

P.S. My research was fruitless, I still haven't learned how to post a picture; particularly since I couldn't find any detailed instructions. Other sites are relatively simple; they allow me to search my computer files, but I'm batting 000 so far here. UPDATE: I did manage these; for some reason I can't retrieve all of my files on my computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so inspired by 2lane,

here is what i made couldn't find the chilli mix you mentioned so here is what is in mine.

Two garlic cloves
all the cans lined up in pic
only half of the hunt s sauce pictured
the chilli starter has enough spices so no other spices.

I like it.. Has just a little kick not much.

In three days i'll let you know...that is when chilli is really good.

Edit: Found and ordered the williams chilli seasoning on amazon.
you didn't leave out the celery did you?

·
Registered
727 Posts
so inspired by 2lane,

here is what i made couldn't find the chilli mix you mentioned so here is what is in mine.

Two garlic cloves
all the cans lined up in pic
only half of the hunt s sauce pictured
the chilli starter has enough spices so no other spices.

I like it.. Has just a little kick not much.

In three days i'll let you know...that is when chilli is really good.

Edit: Found and ordered the williams chilli seasoning on amazon.
you didn't leave out the celery did you?
Haha no celery for me. Never have been a fan of celery in anything.

The next time I'm going to use green peppers in place of the celery. I will use the Williams chili mix though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts