My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Brett, I swore on a stack of my wife's Murder She Wrote books today, (the books where in the tractor garage to be thrown away) that I would never again buy a tractor of any kind that has a belt driven mower deck. If I should ever hint here on the forum looking at a John Deere or other brand with a belt driven deck, please remind me of my written words here.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've attached some photos of a 54" of roughly the same vintage. My neighbor isn't using it right now, so it's in storage in his barn. As you can tell, the pulley isn't actually straight if you look at it from the front. By straight I mean in the same plane as the secondary belt. It actually tilts down a little on the right (from the seat). From from the side, it appears to tilt rearward a tiny bit (toward the back of the tractor). So the front is actually tilted upward, which would help with the belt angle. Neither tilt is extreme, so I'm not really sure it would help your problem. But here you go.

And I hate to say it, but why did you wait so long to try and get this resolved? John Deere is by far the best company I've ever seen in trying to make things right and keeping customers happy. I've seen them bend over backwards for folks - inside and *reasonably* outside of warranty. It's been long now though...

And why a new PTO clutch and all the other parts? I've got a bad feeling that throwing parts at it won't help. Those arms are powdered metal, so they don't bend or get out of whack. They just break.

I wonder if the mounting plate welded to the rear of the deck is tweaked or welded wrong? That is honestly about the only thing that could throw off that double pulley angle. A long pry bar and a hammer can probably correct that.

Hopefully some others can take pictures of the belt and pulley angle on their 345 w/ the old 54 deck. Let's not go totally by this one.

FYI, this guy has run this deck probably 300 hours over 10 years and it's still on the original primary and secondary belts.

Attachments

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Engine Tech, Replacing the parts is costly. Also, I know there may be some issues with thew PTO clutch, and replacing it gives me the hope and all the others there may be a cure to the belt breaking. The rear lift arms need replacing, as the J pins holes have elongated, causing the lift arms to move more than I think they should.

The dealer...owner knows my problem, but, he is like many others in this type of business...directs me to a repair person to hear my complaints. And that is about as far as my vocal complaint gets. I have requested a new mower deck at least three times, only to get the owner saying, "he will contact John Deere and it's up to the factory to replace the deck." And you now know the rest of the story.

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
It almost looks like the tractor sits too high. Does it have the correct size wheels on it?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Brett, I swore on a stack of my wife's Murder She Wrote books today, (the books where in the tractor garage to be thrown away) that I would never again buy a tractor of any kind that has a belt driven mower deck. If I should ever hint here on the forum looking at a John Deere or other brand with a belt driven deck, please remind me of my written words here.
Don't think I won't call you on that one :)

:greendr:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
If I should ever hint here on the forum looking at a John Deere or other brand with a belt driven deck, please remind me of my written words here.
Not to belabor a point here, but ALL JD decks are belt drive. Some have one belt, some have 2 belts... but ALL JD decks (even the fabulous "7 Iron") are belt drive.:D:D
:bannana:

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks like maybe this part is upside down, or wrong, according to a few other pics i have looked at, yours looks different, possibly causing that pulley to tilt forward too much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, I might not have the final solution to the problem but this should lead you down the right path.

In the JDParts indexes I found there are multiple 54" mower decks. It depends on how you search. Based upon your signature you have a GX345 and that is different from just a 345. The previous parts diagram posted appears to be from the X345 as shown on this attachment:

Auto part Diagram Technical drawing Transmission part

If you look at the photos supplied and compare the parts diagram #28 is not the same shaped part as the photo.

If you examine the diagram found by searching for just 345 as shown on the attachment below:

Auto part Diagram

the parts diagram #21 on this drawing does match the photos.

When I went searching through the index I found multiple occurrences for the GX345 54" mower decks. I did not take the time to compare them to see if they were the same or different but the titles indicated multiple serial # ranges.

In summary there are several possibilities that you will have to sort out with your dealer. If the pulley assembly has been replaced previously it more than likely was the wrong part for the model of mower you have. If all the parts are original to the mower then you have a mower that came from a 345 not a GX345 or does not have the correct serial # range applicable.

Good luck in determining who was at fault. For the members of the forum this is where you can eliminate some of the problem by accurately referencing the complete model and serial number and manufacture date when purchasing replacement parts.

The list of new parts you are purchasing may be necessary but in my opinion are not the correct parts to solve the problem you are having, with the excpetion of the PTO sheeve. Once you get the correct parts diagram the first part I would replace is the double sheeved pulley.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
Not to belabor a point here, but ALL JD decks are belt drive. Some have one belt, some have 2 belts... but ALL JD decks (even the fabulous "7 Iron") are belt drive.:D:D
:bannana:
I dont think so. My cousin has a x720 and the blades may be run by belts but the deck is driven by a DRIVE SHAFT.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I dont think so. My cousin has a x720 and the blades may be run by belts but the deck is driven by a DRIVE SHAFT.
Technically HH is right the deck itself is belt driven but the 720 does have a shaft drive to get the power from the PTO to the deck.

I'm no JD expert but I have to say my P.O.S. MTD has an extreme belt angle like his but it never has chewed up a belt.

I cant help but think the deck is nose diving and if it is that would account for the belt angle.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
That is an obvious John Deere design deficiency. Send those pictures to John Deere and request modifications to fix the problem.

If they do not provide a modification, post your pictures all over the internet.
I don't think this is a good idea at all, since there are plenty of these decks out there that do just fine.

This problem seems to be with this one deck not an entire line, so going to the net bashing JD would serve no purpose other than making you look like a fool and get JD's back up so they will not help.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Has the deck leveling been ruled out ? I know he said the deck shell was level , but is this comfirmed by measuring at the blade tips as well ?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
True, found it later could'nt delete ,still wondered.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yeah,there is no way that angle is right,the rear double pulley appears to not have enough space,it's almost as if it was a 1 of a kind thing that slipped by when they made it,hopefully someone could put a photo of theres hear to see the difference

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.