My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Geez... That's a ton of belts! Did you buy the 345 new? Dealer was never any help on this? I mean, I don't hear other 345 owners with that many belt issues?

·
6,553 Posts
I just can't see how the dealer didn't step in and correct this issue. That's not "normal" they tell you the deck is the issue but I don't buy that simply because we'd have all sorts of 345 owners on here, threads on here, about deck problems.

Is this the same dealer that quoted you basically retail on a 700 series machine?

I'd say there has to be an issue somewhere, I don't claim to be knowledgeable enough to know where the issue resides, perhaps Engine Tech may know.

Any chance you can take some photos of the belt routing, how the belts run from the PTO to the deck etc? It may help to have more eyes on the problem.

·
6,553 Posts
FD,

I understand that type of belt setup. My Craftsman had one huge belt to run all three blades and it ran directly to the PTO clutch pulley (54" deck so the belt was huge) and in 54 hours I had absolutely zero issues. And the belt angle changed depending on how high or low the deck was, and it was never an issue.

If there is some massive angle on the belt when the deck is down, then it sounds like the PTO pulley is too far away from the center line of the deck pulley, maybe the PTO pulley should be lower? Did Deere ever make any changes to the PTO pulley over the years of the series? Looking at jdparts.com should confirm whether changes had been made as there would be different PN's.

I dunno, all I know is I would NOT be happy about chewing belts up every time I turned around!

·
6,553 Posts
There is no way that that much of an angle is correct. I don't know why it's not correct but it's no wonder it chews up belts.

·
6,553 Posts
Here's what JD shows:

·
6,553 Posts
I would have never kept it in the first place. The first season when it ate a belt, and then in subsequent seasons ate more belts, it would have went back, even if I had to use the "L" word!

Per the diagram it looks like your deck is together correct, I don't understand why there is such an angle on the belt, but after seeing that angle it's no wonder it destroys belts.

·
6,553 Posts
Brett, I swore on a stack of my wife's Murder She Wrote books today, (the books where in the tractor garage to be thrown away) that I would never again buy a tractor of any kind that has a belt driven mower deck. If I should ever hint here on the forum looking at a John Deere or other brand with a belt driven deck, please remind me of my written words here.
Don't think I won't call you on that one :)

:greendr:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.