My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was a bad day for my LB hunt. eric55106 noticed a 8100 Automower in the Columbus, OH area. I immediately phone the guy listing it stating my interest in buying the 8100 letting him know that I would like to ship it to Texas. He said I was the first guy who called.

As you know these don't show up around here very often if at all. The only way I'll get one is if it's shipped in from up n0rth. With all my good intentions and even offering more than his asking price($100). He went and sold it locally for $60! I was ready to fork over shipping cost, packing materials cost, etc.

Man, was I hot. The only thing that will cool me down is if one of the members is now the proud owner.

Oh well, if any one wants to sell a Automower 8100 or a gold model let me know. this one would have been fun, because I could restore it. If a MTF member got it. Let's see some some photos...

:crybaby:

The one that got away...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Sorry to hear, about that. I had one get away, Same story last year. But it was for a commercial F engine. Told me i was the first to call, said he will think about it with the shipping, offered him 100 bucks plus shipping, (he wanted 60 bucks for 2 mowers). I call the next day. He sold it to another guy. I somehow got in contact with the new owner. After going back and forth for a few months he decided to not email me back.. I feel your pain.

That is a sweet mower, id love to find that one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear, about that. I had one get away, Same story last year. But it was for a commercial F engine. Told me i was the first to call, said he will think about it with the shipping, offered him 100 bucks plus shipping, (he wanted 60 bucks for 2 mowers). I call the next day. He sold it to another guy. I somehow got in contact with the new owner. After going back and forth for a few months he decided to not email me back.. I feel your pain.

That is a sweet mower, id love to find that one.
The guy seems to know a little about Lawn Boys, but told me he buys property and "finds" them. Don't no what to believe. I would have WU'd the $$$ on a yes taking the chance he was full of horse hockey.

Guy's name is Fisher. If anyone knows where this mower went send me a PM.

I hate to be such a crybaby about it, but integrity is my numero uno. I've shipped everywhere in the world and some of the most delicate instruments known to man, and in this situation I would have had a forwarder pick it up and put it on a truck. The guy would have ahd to do knothing but sign the BoL.

What happened to good 'ol neighborly people. They must all be on MTF!

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
I have a gold 5210 brick that I got about a month ago. It is in very nice original condition. Has spark and good compression. I have not tried to get it running yet, I even got a parts mower with it. Just like the one in your avatar, just not an auto mower. Too bad your not in Pa.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
You never know if your day was as bad as you think. Maybe the mower was a real POS and he actually did you a favor. There are so many LB out there and eventually you will get the one you want... than another and another.. finally you will start trying to sell them off yourself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You never know if your day was as bad as you think. Maybe the mower was a real POS and he actually did you a favor. There are so many LB out there and eventually you will get the one you want... than another and another.. finally you will start trying to sell them off yourself.
Say it ain't so!!:lalala:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one too. A while ago i responded to an add for a 2-cycle mid nineties 4-5 hp lawnboy with v engine. When i got there, it was a Tecumseh wit out spark. What a waste of time. That person had the wrong picture in their craigslist add.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I wouldn't ship that mower for an extra $40 either, so I guess I can see where the seller is coming from selling it locally. That is what CL is 'sposed to be about. Did he actually say he'd ship the thing to you? I know he mentioned your were first.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It takes 3 hours to get materials, box, and drop off to ups. I usually have 2-3 hours in any mower I'm selling. Typically I make $50-100. I only ship mowers when I have no other work available. Shipping a mower is a serious hassle!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I wouldn't ship that mower for an extra $40 either, so I guess I can see where the seller is coming from selling it locally. That is what CL is 'sposed to be about. Did he actually say he'd ship the thing to you? I know he mentioned your were first.
I think he meant he was going to pay $100 for the mower, the guy wanted $60 for, PLUS paying for all shipping materials and actual shipping costs.

I have had a number of mowers shipped to me, but never shipped on myself. I can see by how they are packed, if they are actually done right, how much TIME it takes to pack one well. Not only time but money in packing materials if you don't have access to free stuff to use.

I had someone on ebay question me about the shipping on a mower they were looking at. I think they guy wanted $75 or $85, which is pretty much what most people on ebay are charging. The person that questioned me thought that was way too high. I've shipped many things before, and at $75 to ship a ~70+ pound mower, plus all the time to pack, is a bargin.

Anyhow, too bad the OP missed out on that one! It's hard to work out stuff like that on CL, and with NO buyer protection of any sort it would have been tossing the money into the wind and just hoping you ended up with the mower on your doorstep in a couple weeks. With the seller being totally annomous they could easily take your money and laugh...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow!... is that how intense it has become? hunting around the country on Craigslist for Lawnboys? I know where there are piles of them right now! I find more then I can handle here without searching the world. How the heck were you the first one to contact him several hundred miles away???

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel. You find something that you think you'd probably not ever find again or for a really long time so you go the extra mile to try and get it and it doesn't work out. Very fustrating. The seller most likely just did not feel like taking the extra time to package up the mower and ship it, even for the extra cash.

Don't worry, you will find another one if you search hard enough. Post want ads everywhere, keep your eyes peeled and soon enough one will eventually come along.:fing32: To give you a little encouragement, when I was looking for a Lawn King I came across a couple of them but both were across the country from me. When I found each of them, I really wanted to get them but shipping quotes were ridiculous, yet I wasn't sure when I'd ever come across one that was closer to me so it was always hard turning them down. A couple years later, one popped up on CS and it was less than a half an hour away from me. I'm sure glad that I waited.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow!... is that how intense it has become? hunting around the country on Craigslist for Lawnboys? I know where there are piles of them right now! I find more then I can handle here without searching the world. How the heck were you the first one to contact him several hundred miles away???
It's really not the intensity. Here in Texas, there really aren't any pre-seventies LB's. I look everyday and we have the usual 10323 Duraforce's.

I just wanted one of these. If you live in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, etc., they are there here not many.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts