My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from Michigan to a rural property in VA with LOTS of brush. My understanding is that there was a Haban flail mower accessory that would fit an HT-20, and I seem to remember someone from Livonia, MI having one what is now 3 years back, and I was curious then about them.

Is this the right tool for clearing brush along the edges of a pasture area and/or keeping brush back from the edge of a gravel drive? Would a sickle mower attachment be better, or just different? Are these the "right tools", or should I be looking at a walk-behind brush hog? I have never used either type of mower or a brush hog, but I would think the HT would do a good job based on my experience with its other accessories.

Also, anyone interested in parting with one, somewhere between MI and VA? It looks like I should either get an attachment for the HT, or purchase some sort of brush hog for this purpose.

Thanks.

Robert

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am moving from Michigan to a rural property in VA with LOTS of brush. My understanding is that there was a Haban flail mower accessory that would fit an HT-20, and I seem to remember someone from Livonia, MI having one what is now 3 years back, and I was curious then about them.

Is this the right tool for clearing brush along the edges of a pasture area and/or keeping brush back from the edge of a gravel drive? Would a sickle mower attachment be better, or just different? Are these the "right tools", or should I be looking at a walk-behind brush hog? I have never used either type of mower or a brush hog, but I would think the HT would do a good job based on my experience with its other accessories.

Also, anyone interested in parting with one, somewhere between MI and VA? It looks like I should either get an attachment for the HT, or purchase some sort of brush hog for this purpose.

Thanks.

Robert
I have a Haban #503 flail mower on my Bolens 1256 and I bought it in Dearborn , Mi about 3 years ago so it could be the same unit that you remembered.

It works very well on brush, weeds, long grass and saplings that are less that 1/2" dia. That stuff you just drive right through effortlessly. I have a scruffy area between my grass that the wooded area around my lawn and that area is not where you take a finish mower. So the flail mower is used on that scruffy area once a month or so. It would be a great tool to clearing brush along the edges of a pasture area or keeping brush back from the edge of a gravel drive. Any rocks of sticks would not be a problem for it, unlike a rotary mower.

I have used it for some soft saplings up to 1" dia and while it's not the right tool, it will take them down. It kinda beats at them until they break off at the bottom, and then it sucks them in in this ferocious "Whooshing" sound as it grinds them up. I have a larger Ford tractor with a big brush hog on it and I like the front mounted flail mower better as you can see where you are working rather than having to turn around all the time to watch the mower. But if I have an areas with lots of 1" dia or larger saplings it has to be brush hogged.

Here is a link to some discussion that we had a while ago on the Haban flail mower. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=53762&highlight=haban

You may want to contact "Cakes" as he had his up for sale a while back and I didn't recall if it got sold. I had made up a new set of front casters/wheel brackets for him and I think that he really cleaned it up. Once and a while parts for them show up on EBAY and I found a new set of cutters and a decal for it.

From what I have seen the Haban 503 was for a tube frame and the mount/driveshaft may not be correct for a HT20. But others may be able to give more clarity on that.

Stuart

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the one I recall was actually in Garden City, and the owner invited me to take a look at it since I had never seen one before. Your link was helpful to show me what one looks like. The likelihood of finding one is pretty slim, but a guy can always hope....lol.

The property came with a 30 year old Japanese Compact Utility Tractor (Satoh) that has a belly mowing deck about the width of the one on my HT-20. I don't have the heart to get rid of the HT, besides which, with the tiller and FEL, I figure I will get my use out of it. The flail mower looks like it would be perfect for what I need to do.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts