My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a H70 tiller and was looking for some information on it. When were these things built? What are they worth, the one I got is in decent shape, could use some paint, but nothing is broke or missing off of it? It is in decent shape, but I decided I probably ought to split the cases and glad that I did because the grease in there is nasty. It also looks like somebody dumped a little 90W in it at some point also. I am wondering where I can get the two main bearings, figure if they are available I just as well replace them while I have it apart and I am also looking for the gasket where the hydraulic motor attaches, I did find the following part numbers off an Ingersoll manual:
bearings 10405
gasket 70128

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
GD, the H70 tiller is the most common model from Case, suggesting it was built in the early 70's through maybe to a late as 1980. There do not appear to be public production records on the timing of attachment models, though a production year chart does exist for the whole tractors.

Value is a local thing ... but good condition tillers will routinely sell in private deals on the $250 - 400 range. Compare that to what you can get in a self powered tiller at about 20" width, or $50-75 per day rentals, and you quickly see why someone wanting a tiller easily pays this range of price or higher.

The later model 'side drive' tillers seem to bring more. No particular advantage of one over the other that I can suggest, just they tend to be newer. 30+ year old center drive tillers keep going and going and going. We've recently sold a few whole sets of tines for machines that were used so extensively that the tines were pretty much all worn to stubs.

Drop me a line to [email protected] if you would like to pursue parts. I have the bearings and gasket in stock, with most other parts readily available, including the housing gasket.

The tiller bearing is one item I don't care for Ingersoll's pricing (there are a few). As such, we have locally sourced a high quality bearing, and pass along a savings of about 40% to our customers.

Oil/gear lube is not spec'd for these machines and you see the mess it can make. About 1 pint of high quality bearing grease (Mobil EP-1 is current production) packed in the chain and housing is recommended.

Brian

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Hey gravedigger, nice tiller you picked up. I don't know when they were made specifically, but to be sure some folks here will chime in on that.

Contact MTF supporter and member bhildret for parts- he'll hook you up with the bearings and gaskets you might need.

Got any pictures of that tiller? :wwp:

I see them around in these parts from 300- 400 for something that is not all clapped out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like I paid close to top end price then. I saw it on CL and thought for the price I couldn't go wrong. It was cheaper then me picking up a walkbehind tiller especially since I already had the tractor and 3pt. I sent you an email asking for parts pricing. It is in good shape with very little wear to the tines, I will try to get pics posted shortly. Thx

GD, the H70 tiller is the most common model from Case, suggesting it was built in the early 70's through maybe to a late as 1980. There do not appear to be public production records on the timing of attachment models, though a production year chart does exist for the whole tractors.

Value is a local thing ... but good condition tillers will routinely sell in private deals on the $250 - 400 range. Compare that to what you can get in a self powered tiller at about 20" width, or $50-75 per day rentals, and you quickly see why someone wanting a tiller easily pays this range of price or higher.

The later model 'side drive' tillers seem to bring more. No particular advantage of one over the other that I can suggest, just they tend to be newer. 30+ year old center drive tillers keep going and going and going. We've recently sold a few whole sets of tines for machines that were used so extensively that the tines were pretty much all worn to stubs.

Drop me a line to [email protected] if you would like to pursue parts. I have the bearings and gasket in stock, with most other parts readily available, including the housing gasket.

The tiller bearing is one item I don't care for Ingersoll's pricing (there are a few). As such, we have locally sourced a high quality bearing, and pass along a savings of about 40% to our customers.

Oil/gear lube is not spec'd for these machines and you see the mess it can make. About 1 pint of high quality bearing grease (Mobil EP-1 is current production) packed in the chain and housing is recommended.

Brian

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
This tiller wants a peak 9 GPM of oil flow and is designed to be compatible with the Case/Ingersoll 20W40 motor oil (15W40, etc).

I suspect the JD Hygard oil will be too thin to work.

I can't immediately find the x485 specs, but I also believe that output capacity is right around 5 GPM.

Bottom line, I think you may be disappointed with performance attached to the JD hydraulic system.

Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably go ahead and put the tiller back together after I get the grease cleaned out of the cases and possibly try it out and see what I got, but it isn't looking good.. If anyone is looking for a H70 tiller in the Ks area I may be in the process of getting rid of it then.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
JD offered a hyd tiller for certain machines. But, they don't run from the tractor's transaxle pump, but a separate pump driven from the PTO.

I plan to make up a drive shaft/pump arrangement for my 455 so it can run my Case tiller. Simple to do. Just source a splined coupler and a short piece of shafting and make a simple bracket to mount under the tractor. I'll probably just use a used Case pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JD offered a hyd tiller for certain machines. But, they don't run from the tractor's transaxle pump, but a separate pump driven from the PTO.
PHP:
I plan to make up a drive shaft/pump arrangement for my 455 so it can run my Case tiller. Simple to do. Just source a splined coupler and a short piece of shafting and make a simple bracket to mount under the tractor. I'll probably just use a used Case pump.
I would defintely be interested in doing something similar with mine. How will it work with two pumps and won't u need some sort of oil reservoir. I would definitely like to see pics of your setup. Guess I never like doing anything the easy way. A little more fab work will be alright if it doesn't get expensive.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
This tiller wants a peak 9 GPM of oil flow and is designed to be compatible with the Case/Ingersoll 20W40 motor oil (15W40, etc).

I suspect the JD Hygard oil will be too thin to work.

I can't immediately find the x485 specs, but I also believe that output capacity is right around 5 GPM.

Bottom line, I think you may be disappointed with performance attached to the JD hydraulic system.

Brian
What kind of gpm does the tiller require? I was thinking my x485 would be able to power it, but now I am second guessing myself.
Brain is right The JD Hydraulic system will not Power a Case/Ingersoll Hydraulic tiller as stated By others the Deere Hydraulic driven Tillers were either Powered by a Belt driven or Shaft driven PTO Pump I run a 42inch Hydraulic driven Tiller On my X485 and it’s a shaft driven Pump off Your Mid PTO so if You don’t Have a rear PTO But Have a 3point Hitch That is what I would Look for Your X485 Because they are Great tillers a lot Better Performance than the standard Shaft driven tillers Plus the Deere Hydraulic driven tiller can be turned around and used for Back Tilling:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My project is months away. So, don't wait on my pics!

And, I just thought of an issue with using a Case pump shaft driven from the mid pto: That pto is 2Krpm. The Case pump is speced to provide the 8+gpm at 3600 engine rpm. So, I'll likely need to keep my eye out for a pump about double the Case displacement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those of you interested here are some pics of the tiller. I only took two pictures of it before I tore it apart so I could split the cases and clean the old grease out. As much as most of you guys won't like it I think I am going to see what I can do to rig up a pump tank setup to make this work on my X485.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My project is months away. So, don't wait on my pics!

And, I just thought of an issue with using a Case pump shaft driven from the mid pto: That pto is 2Krpm. The Case pump is speced to provide the 8+gpm at 3600 engine rpm. So, I'll likely need to keep my eye out for a pump about double the Case displacement.
I will start my project here fairly soon. I should be able to make some sort of mount for the pump that attaches to the mower deck arms, I just need to figure out what to get for a pump that will work, but isn't to costly. The tank shouldn't be a big issue either. I will have to move over to the attachments forum and see what other people have done. THx for your assistance.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
He did say he sold the tiller but was going to keep the hydraulics.
I haven't followed him to see if he has removed the hydraulics or if he ever built the log splitter.
The threads will still give digger some idea of what he might run into.
Digger your about 200 miles north of me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He did say he sold the tiller but was going to keep the hydraulics.
I haven't followed him to see if he has removed the hydraulics or if he ever built the log splitter.
The threads will still give digger some idea of what he might run into.
Digger your about 200 miles north of me.
Sounds like I have a volunteer. :thanku:

The biggest thing I am running into right now is coming up with a pump for a reasonable price that will do that job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.