My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Yesterday as I started mowing the Bolens died whenever I'd engage the PTO. I thought it might be a stuck belt as this has happened before a couple times but this time it was different. The belts were all fine and even when I removed the PTO belt from the deck it would die whenever I'd flick the PTO switch. If I turned the PTO off before it died it would start up again, but with a loud popping sound like it was backfiring. The PTO is a model 18318 and the Bolens is an H16xt, though I'm not sure of the year - I think its a late 80's or early 90's model. I know very little about machines so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
farmerellis

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
There is a safety switch under the seat that kills the engine if you stand up and the pto is engaged. My guess is that switch either needs adjusted or replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was it! The left hinge that holds the seer on is missing. Consequently the switch is not being depressed when I sit down. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
There is a safety switch under the seat that kills the engine if you stand up and the pto is engaged. My guess is that switch either needs adjusted or replaced.
Now that just takes all the fun out of getting run over by your 'tiller.
:trink40:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts