My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I picked up a pair of old tractors and goodies yesterday.

The H14XL input shaft at the Hydro Transmission is very worn/loose. It jumps all over if you run the engine. You grab the input shaft and can move it up and down a lot. I looked at a parts diagram at Sam's Bolens, and it looks like the "Transmission, Hydrostatic" is serviced as an assembly.

I own my auto repair shop, so I'm handy and have good tools. I'd be lying if I said this was an area that I am familiar with, however.

What is the most cost effective route? Used hydro? Does somebody rebuild these? This type of failure cost prohibitive to repair? Looking for some input from those of you who have BTDT.

The H16XL (the other tractor) that I picked up leaks oil like a son of a gun, near the exhaust. The guy claimed that he had a head gasket replaced and it got worse instead of better. I pressure washed everything today and will look into that more completely later. I'd like to fix up both tractors, instead of making 1 out of the 2. If the trans thing is too expensive to fix....that may be what I have to do.

·
makin noise!
321 Posts
i think you can still find all the parts to service the Eaton hydro piece by peice and not as a unit. can say for sure, mine seems to be working fine so far.

as for the oil leaker, no oil flows through the head gasket. it sounds like the leak is probably from the rocker box gasket or a cracked pushrod tube, possibly a pushrod tube O-ring.

happy wrenchin! get one or both going and you should be happy with what they can do, stout tractor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Country Fried,

thanks for the reply.

I did find out some interesting info. Somebody has pulled the 16hp out of the H16XL, and dropped a 14hp in it.

I called the Duffs and talked to them about the Eaton hydro. He said that all of the parts are available individually, as you said. That's good news. He's figuring that it's wasted, as do I. That's not such good news.

We spent some time looking at the oil leaker in the H16, and its blowing oil out of the pushrod tube seals. We can rotate the engine over easily by hand on the driveshaft. It doesn't seem to have much (any) compression. We're figuring blowby is causing the trouble. Since they're both the same size engine, after all, maybe it isn't worth trying to save it. Maybe I'll get pushrod tube seals and rocker box gasket and play with it some other time?

Dad Duff and I were figuring the best approach may be to make one tractor out of it.

I don't feel too badly about it. I bought 2 tractors, 2 mower decks, and a nice snow thrower attachment & chains for $250. I should be able to make a darned nice H14XL w/snowthrower and mower deck without needing much else. I just need to resist the temptation to resurrect every piece of iron, just because it's there......(one of my weaknesses)

Last (anticipated) parts for my QT16 snow machine arrived today. So that should be ready for winter soon. We upfitted that to a 18hp B&S, upgraded the driveshaft, and are fixing up all the usual stuff. Nice to have the H14XL as a backup snow eater. :)

i think you can still find all the parts to service the Eaton hydro piece by peice and not as a unit. can say for sure, mine seems to be working fine so far.

as for the oil leaker, no oil flows through the head gasket. it sounds like the leak is probably from the rocker box gasket or a cracked pushrod tube, possibly a pushrod tube O-ring.

happy wrenchin! get one or both going and you should be happy with what they can do, stout tractor.

·
makin noise!
321 Posts
I'm about 20 minutes south/southwest of Titletown, USA... Go Pack, Go!

Where in WI are you, Country Fried?
i was over there a few weeks ago for a game.

i'm 30min north of Eau Claire.

you mentioned your an auto tech, i wrench on cars and light trucks professionaly also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was over there a few weeks ago for a game.

i'm 30min north of Eau Claire.

you mentioned your an auto tech, i wrench on cars and light trucks professionaly also.
:trink39:

Cool! I'm a shareholder, and I've been on the waiting list for tickets since about '89. Under number 3000 now. Maybe I'll live long enough. :)

I've been wrenching since '85. Was a Chrysler line tech for most of that time. 604 transmissions kept me busy. Started my own shop in '96.

My cabin is in Mercer, WI.

·
makin noise!
321 Posts
i'v been in the biz just over 9years, yeah i'm still young but this work makes me feel old somtimes. i do diesels and transmissions in a Chevy garage, the 4L60E has kept me busy the last few years but the transision to 6speeds seems to have gone well. only had to open up a few of them, witch is good cause this 100,000mi warranty busniess is eatin my lunch. gotta love flat rate! but, they keep telling people that they can go 10,000mi on an oil change so i guess i'll have job security for awhile.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are officially swapping stuff around to make a good H14XL, and may just wait on the other one before deciding to sell it for parts or fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts