My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd explain how I changed the 2) Filters on the GX345 Hydro, which I did today.
From what I've found, this GX345 machine uses the Tuff-Torq K71. The 345 uses the Tuff-Torq K70 which takes a different paper filter. Ask your JD dealer for the correct one if you're not sure.

The AM120916 round canister Filter is accessible by removing the fender & seat (can be as assembly), the hydro pedals (4 bolts) and the footrest. If yours has a lock-up differential, the round foot button on the left will have to come off too. The canister will require 3 sizes of wrenches. 7/8", 15/16" and 1". I don't like using "adjustable wrenches" for this type of situation.....just my preference; besides, there's not alot of room to get one in there.
You could get by with just 2 wrenches; one to hold the canister (either the 7/8 or 1") and a 15/16 to take the lines off.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Vehicle

Note that when I took the pic, the rigid line had not been attached yet.
There are O'rings on the ends of the filter that seal the connections; make sure they are there.

The MIA881446 paper Filter comes out towards the front of the machine. There is a plastic plug with a 3/8" square recess that a ratchet drive will fit into to remove it. This is down low on the front of the hydro, but not that difficult to get at even with the mower deck on.
Land vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

No problem getting the filter out. JD calls the MIA881446 part number a "Kit". There's only the filter with a short spring permanently attached and an O'ring. On the old one, just pull on that spring and the filter will come out.
You'll want to place a drip pan under the rear of the tractor to catch the draining oil.
I didn't, and had to go to Tractor Supply to re-stock my Oil-Dri.

The parts man said that the system takes 5 quarts, but I got 6 just to have one on the shelf.
I purchased the Filters and 6 qts of Low-Vis HyGard Hydraulic fluid JD p/n TY22035 from the JD dealer.
Total bill was $119.78 before tax. I don't think that's too bad. Could've been worse. I also checked other sources for the filters, JD was right there on pricing.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
This filter does not need to be changed every time You do a Transmission fluid change
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Circuit component Gas Electrical wiring

On average about every 700hrs. All 325 thru GX355 Have In Line Hydraulic filters for fluid going to Hydraulic cylinder and Power steering cylinder (y)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the paper filter….how often on it?
When I removed the AM 120916 filter and let it drain, it didn’t seem to have any blockage at all. Just blew right through it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sergeant knows more about these machines than I ever will, but the manual states otherwise. The manual states that you should replace the oil and both filters at 50 hours and every 250 hours after that. It is no secret that JD charges a premium for everything with their name on it, so maybe that is why they want you to change both filters every time.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
What about the paper filter….how often on it?
When I removed the AM 120916 filter and let it drain, it didn’t seem to have any blockage at all. Just blew right through it.
Internal filter MIA881446 can be changed every time You Change the Transmission fluid (y)

·
MTF Member
102 Posts
Interesting that you removed the seat pan, etc.
I have always changed both filters on the GX345 from below with the deck removed and it is quite simple to do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True for the MIA filter, but aren’t there still obstacles in the way of getting at the fittings on the AM120916?
I'm at the age where I can no longer stand on my head.
And R&R that deck is not so easy, in my opinion. It’s a hassle trying to finagle it out from under the tractor. I now use the A-frame hoist to raise the tractor up so that the deck can be slid off to one side.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
True for the MIA filter, but aren’t there still obstacles in the way of getting at the fittings on the AM120916?
I'm at the age where I can no longer stand on my head.
And R&R that deck is not so easy, in my opinion. It’s a hassle trying to finagle it out from under the tractor. I now use the A-frame hoist to raise the tractor up so that the deck can be slid off to one side.
Either way works.

I find pulling the fender deck doesn't add any real-time and is an excellent opportunity to clean the debris that settled since the last hydro fluid change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts