My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
John Deere GX345 engine malady

Hi, yup, I'm new to the forum, but have no other means of finding some info on a problem I'm having with my garden tractor. It will start after numerous attempts and then will run for 5 minutes or so and die with a very audible back fire! Will generally start again after waiting a bit and then repeat. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned the carb twice, and have replaced the plugs. Any ideas?? I thought it might be the coil, but as near as I can tell, there is one for each cylinder. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Don't wanna haul this thing to a dealer :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
what engine is in it ? im not very familiar with jd but could be a broken flywheel key or possibly a valve hanging open how does it run when it does start ? rough or normal? is your choke opening up all the way if its stuck closed it will run to rich causing it to flood out and stall the backfire you hear is the extra fuel getting burnt in the exaust when the exhaust valve opens to let the burnt gases out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I hate this new gas, I have all kinds of problems, I have to keep something on hand all the time to remove water from gass all the time now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what engine is in it ? im not very familiar with jd but could be a broken flywheel key or possibly a valve hanging open how does it run when it does start ? rough or normal? is your choke opening up all the way if its stuck closed it will run to rich causing it to flood out and stall the backfire you hear is the extra fuel getting burnt in the exaust when the exhaust valve opens to let the burnt gases out of the cylinder.
The engine is a 20hp Kawasaki. After it starts, it runs fine and has plenty of oomph, no smoke. I'm sure it's not a choke problem cuz it has a manual choke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:Welcome1:

remvoe the gas cap and see if it still does it. if not, the vent is clogged. if it is, then it is likely the ignition module failing when it gets hot.
I tried removing the gas cap and to no avail. Any idea what an ignition module might cost? You know how that goes, by the time I replace all this stuff, it would have been cheaper to take it to a dealer!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you resolved this issue yet? I might have an idea, my 345 had the same issue in the past turns out there is what resembles a ford brain box on the left side of the mower just below the battery I think it's about a $14 part at the stealership, but that was about 4 or 5 years ago.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Do a search under "345". My problem was dirt in the carb. Remember to start with the simple stuff and work towards the tougher $tuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts