My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has 333 hours, a 48C deck, good looking hood components and an unglued seat. Mowed the rental property with the GX255 today and already love the locking differential. Paid $2000. It is a 2005 model. I was looking all last summer for a GX255 and in a weak moment last November bought a down on its luck 1243 hour 2004 year GT235.

Now for the hard decisions, do I sell the recently repowered (20hp Vanguard) and mechanically reconditioned GT235 with 48" deck, sell the 20 year old LX176 with 38" deck and bagger (transmission rebuilt two years ago, new clutch two years ago, new key switch electronics a year ago) or sell the LX277 with 42C deck and bagger? Maybe I sell all three of these, keep the GX255 and use it with the 48C and the 44M Piranha deck that I bought last winter. Maybe I keep the LX176 because it has Meg-Mo blades that chopped the leaves up splendidly and spit them into the Jrco Bagger Cart last fall. It was great having about 40% less leaf volume piled up on the street. Maybe put the 48C from the GX255 on the LX277, sell the LX277 and keep the 42C for fall leaf clean up, put the 44M on the GX255 for summer mowing, sell the LX176, use the GX255 for summer mowing at the rental property, get a Toro Timemaster walk behind for the homeplace summer mowing and keep the soil compaction to a minimum while giving the 60 year old guy some exercise.

Sure would hate to let the repowered GT235 go, but space is limited in my barn. What would you do?
Bill in NC

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
I would Keep the Garden tractors and sell off the Lawn tractors and You Can always Keep the 42c Deck from the LX277 and the Bagger to Mount On your GT235:thThumbsU

·
Registered
865 Posts
Whatever you do, keep the piranha deck. I love mine. It does great chopping up leaves, also.

·
Got Grass?
1,292 Posts
I acquired a GX255 early April myself and I love mine as well. I don't know what part of NC you are in but I picked it up in North Wilkesboro. How about that power steering? By the way, how do you like the gt235 repowered with the 20 hp vanguard?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sargeant, I agree with you re: garden tractors versus lawn tractors.

Mowjoe, am in Central Piedmont of NC. The 20hp Vanguard has plenty of power. It does not like going from idle to full throttle and spits out black smoke until it catches up. I spoke to a Vanguard mechanic and he said no worry and that it would probably get better with more use. I've turned some wrenches in my youth on motors and am not sure I agree with what he said. He said these big twins get a sudden shot of fuel and take a while to catch up. I can buy that statement, . . . . . but my gut tells me something is not adjusted right in the carburetor or maybe the governor linkage is overshooting. The reason I mention the governor is the motor also bogs a bit and blows a puff of black smoke anytime the deck is engaged, even when the motor has been running for 30 minutes. So, it is strong engine at idle, at mid-throttle and most definitely at full throttle. The only complaint is the temporary bogging down and blowing black smoke when ramping up.

At any rate, the 20hp Vanguard once it is running full bore is a sweet engine. It came with a recoil and an electric starter from Small Engine Warehouse. It starts easily with the recoil starter. It is kind of strange to open the hood and see a recoil starter.
Bill in NC

·
Penn State Puller!
2,796 Posts
Keep the GX255, as they are somewhat uncommon. Keep the GT235. Sell the LX176 and LX277 but keep the bagger because it will fit the GT235.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts