My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "statement" is, if you have a GX model check the torque on the bolts (hex screws) that hold the front grill, hinge frames and hood together. They can work loose like mine have done for the third time!!!

I've got the whole machine apart for servicing and adding some electrical work (power port) and I thought I'd re-clean/re-seal the headlight reflectors where the crappy sealer I used vibrated out and let them get dirty again. 2 bolts on the same side of the hood were loose by ½ a turn or more and the frames/grill could move around.

Question: What magical substance can I put in the metal screw to green plastic hole that will hold the screws in and still allow disassembly again? I'd sure like to use something like J-B Weld but I can't figger a foolproof way to keep the screw threads from being glued in the hole... Ideas?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Question: What magical substance can I put in the metal screw to green plastic hole that will hold the screws in and still allow disassembly again? I'd sure like to use something like J-B Weld but I can't figger a foolproof way to keep the screw threads from being glued in the hole... Ideas?
Loctite, maybe?

There are different versions (colors) for different purposes. I'm fuzzy on which one would be best (blue, I think), so study the product before choosing.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to Loctite's website and found that all their "thread locker" products are not recommended for use with plastics. I got their # and will call the CS line tomorrow... Otherwise it's going to be some kind of silicone like GE or ShoeGoo. These loose bolts keep the hood hinge from lining up properly and tends to disingage when opening the hood. 4 screws to hold that heavy(?) hood in place in a high vibration environment doesn't seem like the best idea to me, but I bet it saved $1 for every 200 machines.:)

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
Harold wonder what the deal is. I replaced my hood last winter and screws were tight. I just had it off yesterday adding wiring for my new tractor computer and checked all that again and still tight.

Wondering if a dab of two part epoxy will help.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Went to Loctite's website and found that all their "thread locker" products are not recommended for use with plastics. ...
Okay, good to know. Sorry about the bum steer there.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the bum steer there.
No sweat, I got educated about the 3 different "color" thread lockers!:) I got some 3M tub/sink/tile sealer today for the headlight job and I think I'll try a dab on the screw holes. The main worry with this business is not splitting the plastic with too much torque, especially with the silicone as a lube... (I also will put a star washer under the bolt heads and see if that helps.)

Harold wonder what the deal is. I replaced my hood last winter and screws were tight. I just had it off yesterday adding wiring for my new tractor computer and checked all that again and still tight.
Here's my latest guess... The screws on that one side were loose from "day 1" leaving the factory and had a chance to get shook up until the time I took it apart for the halogen install. That's when I noticed them the first time. I tightened them the same as the other side on reassembly and only the same side is loose again. I'll just keep checking them when I'm under the hood from now on.

"tractor computer"? Tell me more!:D

·
Tractor Jockey
593 Posts
maybe rubber cement? how about some clear caulking? that should get it to hold, and be able to come out easy enough.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The lock washer should do the trick. Then silicone over the top of the screws to the hood. That way none of it will be in the threads.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tonight I clear caulked around the 2 halves of the headlight assembly. Plenty of that goo left to put on the screw heads/lock washer area and maybe just a tad on the threads for good measure. Good ideas!

I had been wondering why one side of the hood hinges wanted to come out of the tractor every time I opened the hood... I'd forgotten about it from the time before.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts