My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy I'm so mad I want to spit! Took a ton of time putting together & revising a post. Then bing! "There was a problem & the website was reloaded" Post Gone! Grrrrr!
Ok, first I am trying to install a Power Flow on my new to me 345. I made the mistake of not testing the PTO before I bought it. Tried to engage the mower today & the engine stalled. Took the belt off the PTO to release tension & the idler pulley doesn't turn freely so that may be the problem. I started the engine & tried the PTO again & nothing, didn't even try to engage. Do these tractors not allow the PTO to be engaged if nothing is attached? Or do I have a problem?
Also, can't get the nut off the deck pulley. Tried penetrating fluid, heat, muscle - won't budge. These decks don't have reverse threads on the pulleys do they?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
The PTO on a 345 should engage with or without any load on it. You may have yanked the two-wire connector out of the socket when you engaged the deck with the stuck pulley. It is a wire on the right-hand side of the tractor from the seat just inside of the frame next to the PTO. The nuts on the pulleys can be a bear to get off sometimes. If you have an impact wrench that will probably do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response inspectorudy. After I posted I remembered I recently acquired an impact & it did do the job. Then I pulled the deck off, installed the dual pulley & reinstalled the v belts. With the belts installed & tensioned the idler pulley turned smoothly. I think it was rubbing against the deck when the belts weren't tensioned. I'll check the connection tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning I checked the connection which is ok. I cleaned off some grass build up & checked the 2 15 amp fuses which were ok except for the blades which were dirty. Started tractor, got off, pulled the PTO switch which engaged for about two seconds, then it cut out & then the engine cut out as well. Engine cut out must be because I wasn't in the seat but I'm not sure why the PTO came on then shut off. Started the engine back up, pulled the PTO switch again & this time it didn't come on at all. Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slowly figuring this out. PTO came on because I was sitting in the seat. It must be on the same cutoff switch as the engine so when I got off the seat & pulled the switch again first the PTO cut out then the engine. Hey, don't laugh, Ive never claimed to know what I'm doing! Got all the Power Flow parts on the deck, mounted it & gave it another try. PTO turned on! Then engine bogged down & died. Pulleys we're turning freely but belts seemed maybe a little tight so I released the belt tensioner on the deck, tried again & it worked! So now I need to figure out how to adjust the belt tension. If someone knows how to do this let me know, thanks!

·
blinged out
1,067 Posts
try applying some choke when you engage the deck, some machines run so lean they need the extra fuel for a second! x540 is notorious for this!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made sure it was at full throttle, let it warm up a little & left the tensioner in the off position. Bogged down a little but PTO did start. Put the belt tension back on restarted & engine bogged down a lot when PTO engaged but did not stall. Checked the plugs & the left side was more carboned & the electrode was much more worn down. Replaced both plugs, restarted & engaged PTO w/o bog down. Since I am new owner not sure if the left cylinder has an issue or PO replaced right plug more recently. Satisfied for now, will cross fingers. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts