My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on fully rebuilding a Briggs and Stratton carburetor and i already own a can of Gumout Carb & Choke Cleaner. But on the can it says not to spray directly into the carburetor throat or directly below the throttle plate when the engine is not running. Is it still safe when the engine is off for cleaning the carb with this Gumout cleaner? Also, is there a reason why i can't spray this Carb and choke cleaner into the carburetor throat or below the throttle plate?

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
They are just afraid someone will spray a half a can or more into a stopped engine and then start it--which could do several things..like "hydrolock" the engine,liquid being incompressible,will prevent the piston from going up,and something has got to give,so it could bend a connecting rod or blow the head gasket--or worse!..it could also blow the muffler or catalitic converter off if you sprayed enough in, that wasn't enough to hydrolock it too..if you spray a few quick sqirts down the carb,its not likely to hurt anything,especially if you let it set for awile and give it time to evaporate before trying to start it..

It wont DO much for the carb though,I'd save it to spray into the jets and other passages that need cleaning..you can sray some in carefully while its running,but mostly all that'll do is waste it,and it tends to stall the engine--it may help clean carbon off the intake valve stem and piston,but thats about it..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Actually, the reason they say this is that on many older vehicles that were first gen fuel injected, they coated the throttle bodies with stuff that would be removed by carb cleaner..

its perfectly ok to use on anything now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts