My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys;

I'm considering selling the 9N shown in my avatar, I rarely use it for what I intended, which is hauling trailer loads of firewood up the hill to my outdoor furnace. I found a path to get the Cummins truck up there so the tractor just sits, which isn't good for anything mechanical. It also takes up space I could use for something else.

The 9N is a 1942 according to the engine serial number, the sheet metal is pretty good, tires and wheels are good, everything works (draft etc). It runs pretty well except for a little sputter at max throttle with a trailerload of wood which may have been the coil (mentioned later) or me not having the gas flow adjusted properly. The oil pressure is good and stays good when the engine is hot. No odd noises from the engine, it pulls well, it doesn't have any visible leaks and the oil level doesn't drop on the stick (Rotella 15w40). Doesn't run hot, the exhaust manifold and pipe don't get terribly hot.

The PO rebuilt the PTO, installed a new radiator, changed the tranny fluid and installed new brake/rear axle seals.

PPO installed a 12v conversion kit and wiring harness from the look of things.

I've rebuilt the carb, changed all filters, installed new plugs, changed the oil, repaired the air intake and filter assembly, purchased a new Exide battery with a warranty through TSC. It needs to have the brakes adjusted, a new coil (I suspect the PPO didn't install the ballast resistor) which I will replace. I have manuals and some spares (new wires, tuneup kit, bucket of hyd fluid, etc). to go with it as well as a Woods 5' 3 point blade.

These things are all over the place pricewise on Craigslist, I've looked at beaters for $2,400 and seem others that appear to be in decent condition for that money. I saw one that had been sitting for years in a barn with rotten tires stuck 4" deep in mud that brought $800 in less than 24 hours on CL.

What do you guys think is reasonable? I was thinking $2k or a little more would be good for everything. I might replace it with something smaller (hopefully a diesel) in case the Cummins lays down, maybe $2k would be a good start on that.

Thanks in advance for opinions. :thanku:

Joe

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid $200 for the blade.....you're spot on.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just missed an 8N side mount distrubutor with 12 volt conversion and the owner just put on a brand new carb to get it running to sell. I knew the previous owner that had went thru the whole tractor broke it a part and rebuilt everything. A 800.00 Box drag and working 5 foot finnish mower went with it also for $1500.00 I seen the tractor yesterday morning for sale and I stopped and looked at it and found out the new owner actually went to the guys house at 10 pm the night before to buy it. and paid for it at 10 pm. It was a great deal and I am disapointed I did not get all that good stuff.:fing20:

I helped load it up, and I seen the tractor go by me on the road in 4th gear at full throttle it was purring like a sewing machine not a miss nor sputter :crybaby:

Dont determine your price by what other people sell for. Sell yours for what you want for it. Somebody will buy it if you market it correctly. I agree with Ken start it out at 2500.00

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just missed an 8N side mount distrubutor with 12 volt conversion and the owner just put on a brand new carb to get it running to sell. I knew the previous owner that had went thru the whole tractor broke it a part and rebuilt everything. A 800.00 Box drag and working 5 foot finnish mower went with it also for $1500.00 I seen the tractor yesterday morning for sale and I stopped and looked at it and found out the new owner actually went to the guys house at 10 pm the night before to buy it. and paid for it at 10 pm. It was a great deal and I am disapointed I did not get all that good stuff.:fing20:

I helped load it up, and I seen the tractor go by me on the road in 4th gear at full throttle it was purring like a sewing machine not a miss nor sputter :crybaby:

Dont determine your price by what other people sell for. Sell yours for what you want for it. Somebody will buy it if you market it correctly. I agree with Ken start it out at 2500.00
Thanks. Sounds like a good story of the one that got away. I've got some of those for cars I've passed on the way to work that were gone by the time I could leave at lunchtime. I put a new 12v coil on the tractor last night and it fired right up so she goes on Craigslist today. Worst case, I'll just keep it if I don't get something decent for it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sat it out by the country road in front of the house for a few days with a For Sale sign and every time I passed it going in and out of the driveway, I thought about how much I liked it and how well it ran.

I gave up yesterday and drove it back up the hill and under the lean to I built for it. I guess I'll install some headlights, give it a coat of paint, and keep it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I sat it out by the country road in front of the house for a few days with a For Sale sign and every time I passed it going in and out of the driveway, I thought about how much I liked it and how well it ran.

I gave up yesterday and drove it back up the hill and under the lean to I built for it. I guess I'll install some headlights, give it a coat of paint, and keep it.
I cant wait to see the pictures when you get it done. I understand what you mean by how much you liked it. These are fantastic tractors that get the job done with character. :thThumbsU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts