My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I needed more stuff, I got another Lawn Boy!...

Well, sort of.

Here is the story. Back in 2014, I was with my grandpa, when his neighbor asked me to mow her yard. I wound up mowing her yard for her with a Snapper with the deck design similar to the John Deere JS25. However, I noticed an old Lawn Boy in the garage. I didn't bother asking about it, as I was not into Lawn Boys at the time.

Fast forward 5 years, and I was at grandpas when she came over, and was talking to me about my hobbies. I brought up that I liked Lawn Boys, and she said that she had an old one in her garage. She said she would ask her family if anyone wanted it, and if not, it was mine. This was in April. Come July, I receive a text from my grandpa saying that his neighbor said I could have the mower. However, the brand he shared was not a Lawn Boy...

See if you can guess what I got! Here are some hints, and Yard Nazi, no spoiling!!:tango_face_grin:

1. Model is 332
2. 1971 model year
3. Has a D engine and the same shroud used on the early 5239's.
4. Some would say it is an Interesting piece of History

After someone guesses right, I will post pics.

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct! Pics to come soon.

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
Oh you so and so fourth... :tango_face_surprise

Nice score! Is it the one w/the cool looking cover? I'd love to have one of those.

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh you so and so fourth... :tango_face_surprise

Nice score! Is it the one w/the cool looking cover? I'd love to have one of those.

I personally think the cover is cool looking, but I am not sure if it is the one you are thinking about. It is what I call the teardrop shroud, like the older 5269Gs.

·
5,207 Posts
You know, even though I have seen the mower in person and actually worked on it yesterday with Riley, it does not exist because there are no pictures on this thread. Bill

:wwp:

:thisthreadisworthle

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
There are pics, but, at least for me, instead of being a tractor, it's a cartoon image of a plate of jello with "I'm a little jelly." in text over it.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
good afternoon Bill and Riley
could we see pictures of the mower please thanks that would nice to see
also great job on getting this rare mower from your lawn-boy friend Scott

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,783 Posts
Oh sounds like my fav of all time. The IH with a shroud like my 1966 Lawnboy. Way to go Riley, can’t wait to see pics!

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Picture time! I will get some more once I finish repainting the shell. I can not get the picture to rotate, though.

Attachments

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
I personally think the cover is cool looking, but I am not sure if it is the one you are thinking about. It is what I call the teardrop shroud, like the older 5269Gs.
I was thinking of this style cover -

But I like both styles of IH versions, so it's cool either way.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,783 Posts
Picture time! I will get some more once I finish repainting the shell. I can not get the picture to rotate, though.
yep, that's the one! Good going Riley! I'm just a D-400 guy at heart.

That pic rotated 90 degrees seem to be a glitch with certain camera phones. I had problems with that as well and I googled it and learned that it was my I-phone 5? I started using the wife's new I-phone and the problem was solved. I later did get a new phone and now that problem is solved, but now I still have problems uploading pics without using the tapatalk app. The tech stuff is a constant battle for me.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Hey Riley,

Don't sweat that sideways picture cause a 2 cycle is the only mower that can run in that position! (My avatar is in the same way)

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That pic rotated 90 degrees seem to be a glitch with certain camera phones. I had problems with that as well and I googled it and learned that it was my I-phone 5? I started using the wife's new I-phone and the problem was solved. I later did get a new phone and now that problem is solved, but now I still have problems uploading pics without using the tapatalk app. The tech stuff is a constant battle for me.
Huh. I am an Andriod user (Samsung A50) and I still have issues with it.

I will be refurbishing/restoring this machine. A good through engine cleaning and a fresh repaint on the deck should do it.
The original deck had a huge hole in the side that was not repairable, so Bill (Yard Nazi) and I replaced the deck with one of Bill's old one from a 7260G. I plan to repaint it. Should I remove the existing paint, or should I just paint over it? What paint should I use? I will be wire brushing and polishing the engine components today.

·
5,207 Posts
Riley! Your best results will be to strip the deck, sand, prime, and spray several light coats noting the recoat time. Then one final heavier coat, again being aware of the recoat time. You do not want to go to all this trouble only to have the finish wrinkle up on you. Generally lacquer can be recoated anytime and enamel has a recoat window, usually 1 to two hours. Get a couple of mower boxes from the Toro dealer and make yourself a little paint booth to keep overspray to a minimum.
I like a Rustoleum product from Zinsser called Magic Strip. It is non toxic, water soluble, no odor, and very easy to use. Brush on and let set until paint bubbles, maybe 12 hours to overnight. There are pint strippers that work faster but are more caustic and have a lot of fumes. Then just scrape off the paint and use a scrubby or Chore Boy to get the rest off and scrub the deck. Once clean, sand smooth, wipe down, and prime a couple of coats. Did you find a paint match for the yellow yet? Maybe try Farm and Fleet and look for a Cub Cadet yellow. I am not sure but I think I read somewhere that there are/were two different Cub Cadet yellows. Bill

·
5,207 Posts

I have a Samsung phone and I have found that if I take a photo in portrait then the picture posts rotated. If I turn the phone so the camera button is on the right and the camera is in landscape then the pictures posted correctly. Give it a try and see if it works.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,783 Posts
I have a Samsung phone and I have found that if I take a photo in portrait then the picture posts rotated. If I turn the phone so the camera button is on the right and the camera is in landscape then the pictures posted correctly. Give it a try and see if it works.
That could of very well been my problem, it's been a couple of years since I had the I-phone 5. The new I-phone has no problem with the pics, it always seems to put them in the right orientation when I post pics via Tapatalk. My problem now is I can take a pic and it never shows when I go to "Manage Attachments" and browse my computer to select it. I see pics that I have taken 5 years ago, but recent pics don't show up when I select browse. That's okay, I can always go to the Tapatalk app and all is good. Thanks Bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts