My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten (2) 289707 12-1/2HP (what's with all the "1/2 HP" increments the last 10 years or so in HP ratings?) vertical shaft engines; one I know, needs an overhaul (its a smoker) the other I have not even tried to fire up yet. but the exh port is oilier than the smoker so I have a feeling that motor will do the same thing if I get it fired up.

I don't remember how the model number break down; 28 CI but beyond that... ? I know it seems that about every L head I see the model ends in "707" this one is "907"; what's the difference? is it the C.I sleeves vs "Kool Bore"?

is it "worth" rebuilding these, or part them out, and find another? I have not rebuilt a vertical Briggs in years; back in the 80s I used to do alot of 92000 series; alot probably didnt "need" it but back then I tore apart and rebuilt almost every engine I got my hands on.

It seems that the small engine guys want $400 (used) for about any engine around here lately; I'd like some of what they are smoking; I've seen new ones for close to that same price.
I see engines like this on Fee Bay and CL (as well as whole tractors with deck or transmission problems) for $100 to $500 with 12-17 HP vertical engines.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yup; I went to try to test fire the one w/a "94XXXXX" code and found a busted gov shaft(crap) only shows as an $8 part but as grungey as this machine is I may as well rebuild while I am at it..... (or "file" it in Bin 13 and look for another one)

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks; I wasn't looking (necessarily) for free; it's one of those "used to have" type deals. i had stumbled onto a couple other sites that I thought were free but it was an "order your manual here"/enter a CC#; screw that; I don't do credit cards online.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i dont either....
i borrow tech books from my local library instead

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup I found that one online; took forever to download; now I can't find it in my computer! Thanks guys; now onto the other part of my question; is it "worth" rebuilding one of these engines any more?
and Banoe; I may well take you up on that anyway.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
yup I found that one online; took forever to download; now I can't find it in my computer! Thanks guys; now onto the other part of my question; is it "worth" rebuilding one of these engines any more?
and Banoe; I may well take you up on that anyway.
It depends on what you mean by rebuild and what you plan to do with them.

You may just get by with a hone and new rings, so you're only out maybe 30.00. In that case it's worth it to use or try and resell. If you have to do a full rebuild (bored, piston, rings, valve work) it may be worth it if you are going to use the engine but probably not to sell. I know there are rebuild kits on ebay that are reasonable, I would look into those.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It depends on what you mean by rebuild and what you plan to do with them.

You may just get by with a hone and new rings, so you're only out maybe 30.00. In that case it's worth it to use or try and resell. If you have to do a full rebuild (bored, piston, rings, valve work) it may be worth it if you are going to use the engine but probably not to sell. I know there are rebuild kits on ebay that are reasonable, I would look into those.
I'm hoping to get away with just a ring job; but I don't like redo's, so my plan is to send the block into the machine shop since I don't have a bore gauge or set of inside mic's; in years past I've re-rung engines (used to never send them to the machine shop) and not had satisfactory results; I mean sometimes they worked out but other times they were more oil thirsty than when I started. what's the consensus on chrome rings? I see regular cast ones for this engine at $18; chromies are $38. Typically, I've been more likely to use chrome, if things are on the outside of the spec range.
The ones I have done in the past though were mostly "kool bore" (all alum) these 2 engines that I have here now, are both cast iron sleeve bore; would that change your thoughts on chrome? I know they are more dirt tolerant than regular ones.
I have priced out mid-teen rated HP engines used as I have 3 different mower "parter-outers" 2 of which are FeeBay regulars and they want $400 as a starting price for about any engine they have; before I did that I'd buy the 17.5 (yeah I know it's an Intek) new at the local farm store for $498. that way I'd have a warranty too.

I just bought an engineless Bob-cat 48" walk behind that I was hoping to use one of these 12.5HP I/C's on; same HP as the FB460V Kawi that was originally there so should "carry" it fine. I see another engineless Bob-cat 48 incher on CL this weekend, that the 2nd of these engines would be used on.
I am debating whether to keep this one or whether to fix it-and-flip it; I plan to use it for a while, once it's repowered, to compare pros and cons as compared to my 44" Woods ZTR. once that is done either this Bob-cat or the Woods will be up for sale; I don't see taht happening this season though; which ever one sells, will probably do so next Spring.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm hoping to get away with just a ring job; but I don't like redo's, so my plan is to send the block into the machine shop since I don't have a bore gauge or set of inside mic's; in years past I've re-rung engines (used to never send them to the machine shop) and not had satisfactory results; I mean sometimes they worked out but other times they were more oil thirsty than when I started. what's the consensus on chrome rings? I see regular cast ones for this engine at $18; chromies are $38. Typically, I've been more likely to use chrome, if things are on the outside of the spec range.
The ones I have done in the past though were mostly "kool bore" (all alum) these 2 engines that I have here now, are both cast iron sleeve bore; would that change your thoughts on chrome? I know they are more dirt tolerant than regular ones.
I have priced out mid-teen rated HP engines used as I have 3 different mower "parter-outers" 2 of which are FeeBay regulars and they want $400 as a starting price for about any engine they have; before I did that I'd buy the 17.5 (yeah I know it's an Intek) new at the local farm store for $498. that way I'd have a warranty too.

I just bought an engineless Bob-cat 48" walk behind that I was hoping to use one of these 12.5HP I/C's on; same HP as the FB460V Kawi that was originally there so should "carry" it fine. I see another engineless Bob-cat 48 incher on CL this weekend, that the 2nd of these engines would be used on.
I am debating whether to keep this one or whether to fix it-and-flip it; I plan to use it for a while, once it's repowered, to compare pros and cons as compared to my 44" Woods ZTR. once that is done either this Bob-cat or the Woods will be up for sale; I don't see taht happening this season though; which ever one sells, will probably do so next Spring.
That is probably why you've never really had good results, those motors are basically disposable and can't be rebuilt well. You have to hone the cylinder before you re-ring or the rings will not seat like they should, then your problem comes back. You can't hone a coated cylinder much.

I don't know much on the rings because I've always just used what came from the factory. I'd do a google search on that, or if you have the engine apart see if they have chrome or cast rings on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts