My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I bought a new GT5000 (917.289452). As I was checking over it, I could not find the plug to check the transaxle fluid level as shown on page 20 of the manual:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/own...1005524?brand_name_search=917289452+CRAFTSMAN

Also, I was only able to find 2 out 4 of the zerk fittings shown on or near the front axle (Spindle & Front Wheel)

Otherwise, so far I am pretty impressed with this garden tractor.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought the new transaxles are sealed at the factory. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.

You should only have 2 zerks on the front axle, one for each side. Then you should have 3 more for the deck mandrels. Also don't forget to grease the steering wheel shaft at the bottom. Sector and pinion thingy.

Also, why is it that the new GT5000s don't have parts diagrams? The owner's manual just has an operational and maintanance manual. How the heck are you supposed to research spare parts at home?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh ok, I just remembered. You have 1 zerk on the front wheel and 1 behind the tire on the axle. That makes 2 for each side, 2+2=4. Now I have a headache.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was dissapointed in the manual. It's hard to take good care of equipment on the information provided. Where is your wheel zerk located? The wheel hub on mine appears to be sealed. But according to the manual, it is 4 total on the front end.

The manual diagram indicates a service check on the transaxle near the left rear axle.

Thanks for your info.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
If it has the Hydro Gear G730 trans axle, to drain it you would remove the charge pump from the bottom of the trans axle housing, drain it, change the screw on filter and refill it through the fill port.

You should be able to find a diagram at Hydro-Gear's web site, or email them and ask for one.

My manual came with an exploded diagram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brett,
I forgot to mention, it is a six speed transmission. That could be why I can't a plug to check it.

Thanks.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I have no hands on experience with the manual transmissions. I'm sure you could get a parts diagram from whomever the manufacturer is.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 6-speed is actually the Peerless 820 and they do not require changing fluid. it is actually grease inside. I am not at home but I will look up the manual I downloaded from Peerless later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts