My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I purchased this mower used last year and it was in an okay state. The owner had it for about a year, but I can tell he didn't do any maintenance on it. Before Winter the deck was working fine and I had done some small maintenance (like changing the oil, fuel filter, greasing up the two tire rods on the front, and the deck - not sure if I did the greasing correctly 'first timer').

Over the winter I had the deck stored and placed the snow blade on. Worked like a champ all winter long. Come this spring - I took off the wheel weights / blade and placed the mower deck back on (for some reason the belt was really tight, couldn't get it on myself) and started it up.

--The Problem--
I placed the mower in park and the deck was not engaged... as soon as I engaged the deck the engine seemed like it was bogged down and it shuts off immediately. I figure it was a fluke so I gave it some more ummph and did the same thing again. The deck engages and then the engine stops. I double checked and everything was connected correctly and belt was on. At this point, I didn't know what was going on, so I got on it and just start driving it first and then engage it - this time around it works just fine and didn't shut off. At first it started to squeal/squeak as if there weren't any lubrication. I figure I would just let it run for a bit and it would go away since it had sat all winter long. After a while the sound did go away so I disengaged the blades and then put in park. As soon as I engage the blades the engine stops.

I also noticed that as I was backing up the mower - the engine went weak and almost stalled out. I had to give it gas or else it would choke.

I hope nothing is major and is fixable. I'm just new and don't know much about this stuff. I was wondering if you folks can provide some wisdom on this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have to sit on the tractor when you engage the deck. Otherwise it shuts down. Its for our safety. Regarding the other problems, what grease did you use? Grease on the belt? Regards Nils from Sweden

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Banned
777 Posts
You should always run the engine wide open when driving your tractor. It goes against what you ,ay think, but it's actually better for the engine and transmission cooling. There is also an ignition shut off if you back up with the mower engaged. Do you have the owner's manual? If not you can go to the Husqvarna website and download one for free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts