My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife mowed for the first time yesterday with the GTH26V48LS with about 11 hours on it. She said it was running great, she stopped it do tend to some things, and then it would not re-start.

When I got home, it turned over and over and just wouldn't start.

On a whim, I opened the gas cap and heard a LONG <hiss> sound. I left the cap off, and it started with up. Replaced the cap, ran fine. Shut down, re-started immediately no problem.

It is possible there was some sort of vacuum in the tank that was preventing the fuel from flowing? The tractor is stored in my garage, and it gets hot in there if that matters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the junker club!

I had the same issue with my 26v48. Would run fine then spit and sputter and die and would not start. But when the dealer got it it would run fine. So he dumped a bunch of additive (e-10 eliminator and drygas) and swapped gas caps from another tractor. All seems fine now. But last night as I was putting it in the shed it started sputtering again! Another issue I had was the choke was out of adjustment a while back.

Tomorrow is bye bye day for it. I am taking it back and seeing how much I can get back for it. For the money I spent I should not have to fix or repair weekly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the gas cap have to do with it in your case or mine? I guess that is what I am wondering.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Vapor lock! Basically what happens is as the fuel pump is pulling fuel out of the tank no air is being replaced so it is creating a vacuum that the fuel pump can no longer overcome and gas quits flowing till you take the cap off and let some air in. It is a common thing with some small engines to do this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the GTH27V52LS with a little over 7 hours on it and it runs fine. I did notice spittin and sputtin some at one time,I looked at the gas it looked like it had plenty. Then I flipped the lever to reserve and it ran fine.

I would think the gas cap should have some kind of bleeder valve in it.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the GTH27V52LS with a little over 7 hours on it and it runs fine. I did notice spittin and sputtin some at one time,I looked at the gas it looked like it had plenty. Then I flipped the lever to reserve and it ran fine.

I would think the gas cap should have some kind of bleeder valve in it.?
I would think that something has to let air into the tank as gas is drawn out, otherwise this would happen all the time.

·
Banned
777 Posts
I have the Dixon 2654, which is basically the same tractor with about 30 hours on it now. No problems at all, I wonder if it's a Briggs specific problem? The gas tanks and caps are the same on both, only the engine is different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts